Radiotherapy

Starting Radiotherapy for breast cancer on Monday and a bit apprehensive 

Can anyone give me som reassurance please

• Hello, I am here to give you reassurance! Radiotherapy is a doddle...the worse bit it getting you into position, just lay back relax and let go...let them nudge and prod you into the right position. 

some days it took only minutes other days took longer to align me...my rads unit was just lovely....they even played music to soothe me...I found the whole process interesting, the machine moving around me...the bleeps...feeling absolutely nothing ( not sure what I was expecting)! 

Have you been tattooed yet? Honestly, do try not to worry....it's absolutely fine....I promise ️

• Jsue56

Hi just read your post and that brought back memories of how anxious I was too,of Radiotherapy  which I finished 15 sessions of it in March 2020.  I know excactly how your feeling I was scared of everything, all of it from operation lumpectomy, and all lympth nodes removed under right arm, and chemotherapy  which I finished in December 14th 2020,hence my name on here Jassoscared lol.

It's not as bad as you think,trust me it really isn't,I had 15 sessions of it,the only thing I'd say is its a bit daunting when you see thst machine for the first time,but its over with so quickly.  

The first session is usualy the longest as it takes time to alighn your body  into the correct position, on some occasions its so quick.

As the machine goes over and around your body, you will hear a sound of several beebs, its important to keep absolutely still,as if you don't,you may have to be lined up again. 

As the beam goes in you don't feel a thing,it's painless so don't worry about that.  Make sure you buy and use a cream on your breasts  that they suggest, I started off using Palmers body cream, but then changed to E45 cream  not the lotion, as it isn't as good,yes it's a bit cheaper,  but the cream is the best one to use. But put the cream on around 3/4 hrs before you have your treatments, and again later on befote going to bed. As each session progresses, your skin will become a bit red ,but just like mild sunburn,nothing you can't handle.you will feel a bit more  tired ,but after all Radiotherapy sessions have finished,I found  for a few weeks after I felt worse, more tired and skin a bit more red and sore. But again,nothing you can't handle,and keep using the cream,and when showering or having a bath ,which ever is your preference all throughout your treatments of Radiotherapy, always use warm water on yoir skin,never use realy hot water,and make sure you pat dry your skin,never rub it with the towel as you would normally, this helps your skin to not become dry or sore. Also during treatments I was given a patch that you can stick on your affected area of the radiotherapy, and it contains some soothing Ingrediants to help any soreness ,it lasts for around 7 days,you can peel off, and stick back on,but obviously don't stick on straight away if you've applied  your E45 cream ask for it if you feel you need something to help you  ,you have to wait a good hour or it won't stick on and it will lose it's abiluty to stick.Follow these tips and you will get through it with ease Good luck my lovely ,and do keep us posted on how you get on.Hope this has helped ease you worries  x

• Hi, 

Please can I ask how tired you felt after your sessions? Were you able to work at all? I'm just thinking ahead as I have a WLE booked for Wednesday x

TIA 

Tobyjr

• Hi,

I'm in the same situation as soon to start radiotherapy. This advice is so helpful and luckily already have E45 cream so will definitely do as you suggest. Thank you so much. x