question

hi, my mum has recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 3a but the doctors have said taht it has not travelled to the lymph nodes or any other ogans in the body. After chemo can it still return?

•  

Hi Hassy,

I see that this is your first post on the forum, so a very warm welcome to Cancer Chat. I am so sorry to hear about your mum’s cancer. It is good news that it hasn’t travelled to any other organs or to the lymph nodes.

I think that the one big worry for anyone with cancer is whether it will return or spread. Sadly, there is no guarantee that it won’t come back after surgery, chemo or radiotherapy.

Please keep in touch and let us know how she gets on. We are always here for you, whenever you want to talk.

Kind regards,

Jolamine

• Hi jolamine and thank you for the warm welcome and replying to my question being the okdest in a single parent fanily has beencery hard with uni going on aswell but i know i need to keep strong for my mum hopefully she makes a speedy recovery alonng with everyone else on this chat
  • Hi Hassy, 

Like Jolamine has said it's good to hear that your mum's cancer has not travelled to the lymph nodes or any other organs in the body but I can understand your concerns. If you want to know what the likelihood of the cancer returning after treatment is do make sure you chat to your mum's medical team about this when you can. Our cancer nurses will be available next week if you would like to chat to them as well. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I'm not sure how much you know about your mum's diagnosis already so I have included some information we have about ovarian cancer on our website for you to have a look at in case you wanted to find out more.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Hassy,

This must be very difficult for you, particularly when you are trying to keep up with your uni work as well. How many younger siblings do you have and how old are they?

Steph is quite right in advising you to have a word with your mum's care team. They are in the best position to advise you, as they know your mum and have all her medical records to hand. The nurses on this site are very helpful too. I find it helpful to draw up a list of questions before every appointment. I take this with me when I am talking to my consultant - that way I don't forget most of what I want to say. Perhaps it might be handy for you to do the same?

Somehow or other, you find the extra strength you need when faced with this situation and yes, unfortunately, you do need to be the strong one for your mum. Do you have any relatives or friends who can support you?

Thinking of and praying for you all.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx