Prostrate Cancer

So my dad recently had an MRI and has now got a biopsy tomorrow (Friday) he has an elevated PSA of 7.2 and I'm worried sick.  What are other people's experiences of a similar situation.

thanks so much 

• Hello Ruby1969

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad has a possible diagnosis of prostate cancer. I know this will be a difficult time for you all. We do have quite a few members here on the forum who have or have had prostate cancer and hopefully they will reply to share their experiences with you soon. 

As you've posted in our Ask the NUrses topic area I wanted to let you know that the nurse team is now out of office for the festive period.

The office reopens on Wednesday 28th to 30th Dec 9 am to 5 pm. Then closed 5 pm 30th Dec, back on 3rd Jan 2023 to 6th Jan, as normal 9 am to 5 pm.

They will reply as soon as they can but you’re also welcome to contact them on 0808 800 4040 during opening hours.

I hope your Dad has some positive news soon. 

Best wishes,
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hello there

I am sorry to hear your dad is currently undergoing some tests and appreciate what a worrying time this must be for you.

Whilst others on here may share their experiences remember everyone is different and impossible to compare. Waiting and not knowing what is going on is unsettling but until the doctors have all the information from the test results no one will be able to tell you much more.

Try and keep yourself busy whilst you wait to find out more, hopefully your dad will hear something soon.

In the meantime remember there could be other reasons apart from cancer for the rise in psa and what ever may have been seen on the MRI and even if it is found to be prostate cancer many of these can be treated.

Wishing you and your dad all the best

Naomi