Prostate Cancer

My Dad has just been diagnosed with stage 4 t3 prostate cancer. The Urologist who gave the diagnosis was extremely unhelpful and wouldnt answer our questions, was told not to look on the internet but i know that stage 4 is not good. We have an appointment with an oncologist  in the next couple of weeks. My Dad is doing really well and looks well in himself. Any one with similar diagnosis i would be really grateful for some advice x

• Don't know if it helps got penile cancer was treated the same just before Christmas went to my doctors for pain killers told me get some paracetamol. Nhs kept fobbing me off .Was in so much pain decide to go private at lot of expense but worth it was seen on same day week later had my first operation still in pain another to go but at least I can say I was treated with some dignity and no waiting around  but long road to go yet John 

• Hi John, thanks for the reply its a shame you were treated with the same compassion my Dad was. I hope you will now get the treatment and care you need. Sending  best wishes for your journey x

• Hi kimbo i was diagnosed Feb 2016 with stage 4 T3B N1 M1B gleason 8 psa 1581. My prostate Cancer had gone to lymph nodes, spine, ribs, pelvis and a lung,. If you want to talk or any more information please feel free to ask......... Billy 

• Hi Billy, That is such a comfort to know that after a similar diagnosis you are doing ok. How have the last 4 years been for you since diagnosis?  if you dont mind me asking what treatment did you have and what were the side effects?  Thankyou 

• Hi kimbo, I'm on permanent hormone therapy, I've put on weight and having (don't laugh) having hot flushes. Then cemotherapy a few side effects but not bad psa went down to 0.03over 18 months, going up slowly now it's 2.9 still nothing to worry about when it gets to about 20 I'll have more chemo. Been living normal life no problems had to retire to look after my disabled wife she needs 24 /7 care (Alzheimers). If you want more information I'm on fairly regular. Best wishes. Good luck for your father........

Billy

P.s i didn't know i was ill i kept being sick turned out to be a hernia, and one of the blood tests showed something wrong so had psa otherwise it could have been to late for treatment, so very lucky really. 

• Hi i am not sure how old your dad is but i am 69. I have a stage 3 cancer but i have no idea what to do for the best but the doctor and staff were very helpful and put me at ease. I have been given 3 options Removal, Treatment, Or monitor the wife wonts me to have the operation but i am not too sure.

Thank you.

• Hi my Dad is 72 and we have been told surgery isnt an option. He has started hormone treatment and will start radiotherapy in 3 months time, they said as the cancer is ' very aggressive' the radiotherapy will be very aggressive(whatever that means).  This Dr would not even discuss the side effects of the radiotherapy. We really need to see the oncologist to find out all these things as at the moment my Dad is so well and he is saying if the treatment will make him ill he will refuse as he already has a malugnant brain tumour. Some answers would have been nice as we came away wirh more questions than we went with.  Thank you for sharing your experience and wishing you strength and determination to make your choices all the best for you and your treatment. x

• Hi kimbo hopefully [@woodworm]‍ will pop on he had same treatment as your dad is going to have. I can only wish you and your father well and best wishes.......... Billy 

• Hi 

I had both radio and hormone therapy and I didnt have any side effects from the radio therapy allthough I di have quite a few side effects from the hormon. But I considered it a small price to pay as I am convinced the treatment saved my life. If there are any questions I will be happy to try and help.

Best wishe to you both, Brian