Prostate cancer

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer he also has a spinal cord compression and is bedridden on top of this he has a small nodule of lung cancer .he was diagnosed in May 2019 a doctor said he has maybe 12 months but he seems in good health apart from bedridden .it's just very hard to see him like this he has carers 3 times a day they have to clean him after he hasopened his bowels he's 87 and his wife is same age I recently moved back home after a messy divorce I reached breaking point on Christmas he was so Ill vomiting and diarrhea I had a damn good cry on my own fortunately he has picked up but I just don't know what to expect will he suddenly detoiriate or be in pain I find not knowing so hard .if any has any experience of this condition I would love to have some info of what to expect 

• Hi Mortice,

I'm very sorry to read about your dad and what you're all going through at the moment. I'm sure this is an incredibly tough time and especially over Christmas - I'm sure it must have been a shock for you and I'm glad you were able to take a moment on your own. Do make sure you are speaking to others - even if it is us on the forum - to get the support you need too.

Unfortunately I'm not able to advise on what to expect, particularly as each person is different. Do make sure you get the information from your dad's consultant or medical team if you can as it's of course important that you're as fully informed as possible.

If you'd like to talk anything through with our nurses, you can reach them on 0808 800 4040 - Monday-Friday, 9-5.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator