prostate cancer

Hello!!

My boyfriend is 69 years old and have been diagnosed with cancer a year ago. He took the descion not to have treatment at that time. His psa levels were 11.8 but has risen to 13.9. They found some very aggressive cancer cells in the biopsy he had. His consultant wants him to have treatment as soon as possible, but he's worried about the side effects. 

• Hi Vanessa,

Welcome to this friendly forum. I can understand why your boyfriend is worried about the side effects of treatment having been diagnosed with prostate cancer myself a few years ago. I dont know what treatment he's been offered so I can only speak about my own experiance. Because my psa was high at 70, I was told they were putting me on hormone therapy for two years and about three months after starting hormone therapy I was offered radiotherapy. The side effects were explained to me.

I didnt have any much from the radiotherapy and pretty much sailed through that part but I did suffer from side effects from the hormone theraapy. Hot flushes and night sweats were the most common but none the less managable. I had mood swings where if I heard bad or even good news sometimes there would be tears in my eyes which I found embarassing. I put on weight which I have not been able to lose. I also suffered from E.D. but was just something I had to put up with allthough there are treatments to help with this. This was also partly due to the fact I was also diagnosed with diabetes for that also causes E.D.

But the point I want to make is, by the time I started radiotherapy, my psa had come down to 3.18 and about twelve weeks after finishing r/t it was only just measurable at 0.01, the lowest they can measure. I truely belive the treatments have saved my life and feel so lucky. I appreciate life more now than ever before and allthough I still suffer from some of the side effects they are getting less in time and I feel a small price to pay for the results Ive had.

You boyfriend has to be the one to make a decision to have treatment of not but I just wanted you to know about my experiance for I feel it may help.Wishing you both all the best and am sending kind thoughts your way. If you have any question, I will help if I can. Please keep in contact, Brian.