Prostate cancer

Hello everyone,

my belowed dad been told has prostate cancer, age 80. I really do not know the stage yet however i know his bones scan came clear, but recently when i was putting his clothes on i have seen a big patch mark on his upper leg, is there anyone could have an idea what it could be, also one morning he did not want to come off the bed as he said he had back pain(which normally he has been having years and years actually but when he diagnosed with prostate cancer it worried me), so he has had 2 paracetomal and he was okay after 1 hour so i am assuming (hoping) it is not related to his cancer. Any similiar problems or experiences would help please. Thanks

• Hi you can have back pain with prostate cancer but unless you have the other tests I'm afraid it's all guesswork have a look at prostate cancer if you want but don't panic lots of luck. P. S has he had a biopsy.

Billy 

• thanks for the reply. Yes he has had a biopsy however does not tell us the result, also just recently he told us he had been told he has had vascular dementia, therefor we wanted to see his medical record from his gp but it takes ages to get files. However when we get those files we will have more opionion what was going on. While waiting to see reports i just wondered if i could find out what that big patch mark could be on his leg to be honest as when i asked him, he seemed suprised having it there and had no clue what it was x

• Hi severalproblems. Welcome to the forum.

I am not a doctor; however I was treated for early stage prostate cancer back in 2010.

With a clear bone scan, it is unlikely that his back problem has any link to prostate cancer.  It is most likely to be just the standard wear and tear on the back that we all suffer from. 

It might be worth asking your dad for details of his diagnosis. Say that you're worried (which is true) and not knowing the situation is making your worry ten times worse (also true).  Maybe he thinks by not telling you he's somehow shielding you - but he isn't.