Pre-diagnosis worries

My husband has a lump on the side of his neck, we've been to the GP who has made a two week referral last Thursday.  It's Tuesday today and we haven't yet received an appointment letter.  We're both really worried and just not coping that well with the wait.  We've been through the different scenarios, frightened ourselves looking on the internet too.  Just wondered if anyone had advice or information about this two week wait referral? Thank you.

• Hi Lynda

Not sure how relevant my experience will be but my symptoms started the same - lump in the neck under my jawbone. I was referred for ultrasound on the 2 week pathway too, I didn't receive a letter for my appointment as they can take time, I got a call for an appointment a few working days later. I was then sent for a CT scan after this on the same 2 week referral and again got a phone call shortly after for it with a few days notice. Have again, been referred for a PET scan, which I'm waiting for the call with appointment date and time but the consultant secretary said it'll be the same, no letter just a call with time and any preparation I need to do like fasting.

Good luck, hope you hear soon and all goes okay!

• Hi

Really appreciate your message, we've been keeping our phone nearby just incase.   Hopefully it won't be too much longer.  My husband's lump is on the side of his neck about half way down, he doesn't have any other symptoms and feels fine.  But the lump is noticeable and has altered the shape of his neck.  He doesn't want to tell family until we know for sure, which I understand, but it's difficult keeping up a pretence too.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, really hope you get news soon. Best wishes.

• Hi Lynda

sorry to hear you and your husband are playing the waiting game.

I too was in a similar position to your husband, and as my anxiety became too much for me I decided to take myself for a (long) wait at my local A&E department, rather than wait any longer.

I had scans, blood tests and follow up appointments booked during the same visit to A&E. I know it's not always great to clog up the service - just letting you know what worked for me.

also a word of advice now and for the immediate future - try to steer clear of the internet. If you asked Google if the sky was purple you'd find a website to tell you it is.

• Hi

we did think about going to A&E, and I also phoned the orivate hospital but they said we would need a referral from the GP and it probably wouldn't be any quicker.  I'm sure if we were royalty or famous we'd have more  options - it's so frustrating!  My anxiety has been bad, couldn't eat or sleep for a while.  I'm trying to manage it and tell myself to just live this minute and any negative thoughts I tell them to go away - it's sort of working.

I know, the internet hasn't helped but you can't help trying to find a glimmer of hope and positiveness.  I've stopped looking now and I'm sure it would tell you the sky is purple

Really appreciate your message and will keep in mind A&E should we not hear from anyone soon.

All the best, Lynda