Post menopausal bleeding

Hi,

I am extremely stressed and worried .... again! I am 56 and had my last period about 5 years ago. Since then I have had 3 incidents of very light bleeding/discharge. Each one about a year apart. Each time I have been fast tracked and had scans; both usual and transvaginal, hysteroscopy and biopsy and each time all has come back clear. The last episode was a year ago. I was then fitted with the Mirena coil to hopefully help prevent thickening of the uterine lining. I had episodes of bleeding for 3 months after this. But it eventually settled down.

But, I had another episode of very light bleeding, (or tbh, what looked like dark brown membrane bits!). Not pleasant. I went to the GP and I had a smear test and check for infection. Both were clear. So I have been fast tracked again for transvaginal scan next Tuesday 28th. I am so stressed and worried again. I don't understand why it keeps happening. And what is more worrying is that thus episode has lasted on and off for the last month and I have cramping pains in my pelvis. 
Has anyone had anything similar? Repeated episodes. I am so frightened,

thank you

jacki

• Hello JProd,

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. You're doing the right thing in getting these symptoms checked and it's encouraging that your tests are coming back clear. 

When you are worried that you may have cancer, it can be tempting to overthink things, but this can end up increasing anxiety rather than making you feel better. It can be difficult for your doctor to get to the bottom of these symptoms, don't be afraid to say how you feel to your doctor.

I hope this is helpful,

Moderator Anastasia