Possible Lymphoma?

Hi all,

I'm 22 and currently a student. I have a lump in the side if my neck that has been identified as a swollen lymph node. I've had it for months and have had no infection(s) that would have caused it. Due to covid amd my having previously lived in a student household with someone who had to shield, I can't even remember the last time I had so much as a cold, which is a silver lining, I suppose.

My mom noticed the lump some time ago whilst sat next to me (I had my hair up) and told me to get it checked and foolishly, thinking I knew best - I ignored it. However, around December it felt a bit bigger and harder so I phoned my doctors (it's a bit different here as we have a student doctors surgery on campus) and they asked for photos which I sent and they wanted me in the same day. 

they asked me if I had had any other symptoms which at the time I had only fatigue, which I had chalked up to my depression as well as weight loss which I had initially welcomed since I had gained some weight over the summer. The lady who I saw was the only person to date who actually felt my neck properly, although reassured me that the lump was 'tiny' which was a relief but, it is big enough to be visible from head on although it is in an awkward spot behind my ear. 

I had bloods and was told they came back fine, but felt another lump which appeared and disappeared rather strangely and was sent on a 2 week referral to an ENT. 

I hate to speak ill of hard working NHS staff, but the surgeon who saw me was incredibly rude and misrepresented what I had said in his letter back to my doctor. I didn't even have time to take my coat off for him to feel my neck and shoulders, collarbones before he did so. He laughed at the size of the lump (it had shrunk at this time, but went through a period if doing so I.e. shrinking and growing, which it has since stopped doing) he said he couldn't biopsy it because it is on the bone amd that it was too small to ultrasound. The whole experience left me very embarrassed.

I went back to the doctors and tried to explain what had happened and that there was incorrect information in the letter sent back to them, but they would not hear it. The ent had remarked that it was likely due to 'dandruff' (I do not have dandruff) that this lump was there. 

I had more bloods done and had lost more weight and once again was told that they were fine. There was slight concern however over my CRP which was 7. One doctor was unhappy with this and another said it was fine. I also had high blood viscosity, and had one doctor say it was fine and another express concern. All in all, very inconsistent. 

last time I went, I remarked that I had noticed two new lumps - one mirroring the first one, which is still there, visible and hard.  Though this new one is not so big and another one in my trapezius muscle (best way I can explain it, sorry!) the doctor said that the one on my trap was likely just neck strain. But it has since gotten bigger and it feels as though there is now one next to it. One of the lumps is hyper mobile and moves really far when I touch it (feels gross). Despite this, I had one last set of bloods and they were the most normal yet, which is a win. 

Ive not been back to the doctors since the new lumps on my trap got bigger because I'm worried I will just be dismissed again and it really brings me down. However, I know it's surely not normal that they are there and growing and the fatigue I have been experiencing has gotten much worse. 

The weight loss has slowed down and when I mentioned this to the doctor and they weighed me and that I had plateaued, it seemed like they were not concerned at all. 

I hope this makes sense? I'm just not sure what to do - I have lumps in my neck and extreme fatigue. Not to be tmi also but I've been having severe bouts of constipation.

I don't know what to do, but I'm so upset that they won't just biopsy me or give me a scan. They make me feel like it's all in my head. 

• Welcome to the forum Darjeeling-Whitman although I'm very sorry to read what you've been through and for how this has left you feeling.

Many of our members have also, sadly, found themselves in this situation at times so they will definitely understand how you're feeling and I'm sure some of them will be along soon to offer their support and advice.

In the meantime, the only thing I can suggest is to try and seek out a second opinion. We have some information about this on our website and some tips on talking to your doctor that I hope will help as well.

If you feel it may help to talk things through with one of our nurses, you can contact them on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I really hope you're able to get to the bottom of this soon and that your symptoms are no cause for concern.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, 

thank you for your kind words.

Just a further update. 

I went back today and the nurse I saw was the same as the one I saw at the very beginning of this ordeal. She was incredibly thorough and noted that the lymph node under my jaw was, in fact, quite large. She couldn't have been more thorough and said that she wanted a second opinion and that she would phone me once she had been able to do so. 

She phoned me back later and said that she had spoken to ent amd that they had said that it is probably a viral infection (my bloods would say otherwise) and that I should avoid touching the nodes as that makes them inflamed. Which is strange because I tend to avoid going near them and had only noticed them because they were enlarged. The one under my jaw is at times visible when I am stood head on in the mirror. The sensation of feeling them under my skin makes me feel quite weird! 

I didn't know what to say and panicked, saying I accepted it. I had been told to wait 6 weeks and then return to the doctors in 6 weeks, not that I have a referral with a 6 week waiting time as this would be fine. 

However it played on my mind and I rang back up but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do - I'm so frustrated. I feel helpless and as though I'm wasting time. I won't be in my university accommodation in 6 weeks time, in fact I shall be celebrating my mother's birthday. I dread waiting any longer only to be referred then and told that it's something horrible. I don't want to do that to my mom.  

• Hi darjeeling-whitman,

I hope you don't mind me hopping on I just wanted to say I completely understand your frustration! I also am currently dealing with multiple extremely swollen lymph nodes and found it difficult to be taken seriously (I was repeatedly dismissed as just having an infection also). 

The best thing I can recommend is to ring your doctors and ask for an appointment with a different nurse or gp, you are completely entitled to a second opinion of your own so are well within your right to ask.

I know it can be quite easy to panic in the moment and therefore not advocate for yourself, I've found what's helped me is keeping a list of why I'm concerned to hand for when I have to make calls or have appointments as not only does it help remind me what to bring up to them it also helps to remind me why I am there and therefore to stick up for myself!

Regardless of if it is nothing or not you deserve to be taken seriously and shouldn't have to go through this worry and stress so do please push for an appointment with a different gp! Alternatively maybe see if your surgery is registered for the Livi app? It's an app that allows you to book video appointments with fully qualified GPs across the UK who can offer prescriptions, advice and even referrals. This is what I have ended up doing as my gp surgery couldn't offer me an appointment until the 4th April and I'm currently really struggling with both the anxiety it's causing me and also a feeling of constantly being strangled. I have my appointment through Livi tomorrow morning so would be happy to let you know what it's like!

I do really recommend asking for another appointment and try to explain why you are concerned and how this worry is really affecting you mentally.

Fingers crossed you get something sorted soon! Please do feel free to keep me updated

LJ

• Hi LJ 

I'm so sorry. I completely lost my login details.

in the end I had a biopsy in May as I had two sub clavicle lymph nodes (I still have one) that were of enough concern to get a two week wait appointment. They can back fine (!!!!) amazing news. However upon reading my letter back it had been noted that one of the lumps was 'a little heterogeneous' which worried me and the supraclavichlar nodes were ignored. I gave up after this point though my liver profile came back bad. 

obviously I'm very glad that nothing came up on my biopsy but I have a nagging feeling about it all. I know my body and I know when something isn't right and having so many (7) lymph nodes in my neck is not normal. None of them have reduced in size at all and as of before I cannot tell you when I last had a viral infection! I was given an fna biopsy instead of a core needle biopsy as planned as they couldn't get the right angle to do the core needle. I feel like this played a role in it all? 

I so hope you're well and you got the all clear! ️ ️ ️

Darjeeling