Please help.

Hi all,

im new to this so apologies if I'm not very good. 

my mum went into hospital a few months back after a few weeks of not eating properly and being very poorly with her chest. Doctors had prescribed in inhaler and antibiotics as they said it was a chest infection and due to Covid couldn't see her so it was all done over the phone. 

they soon said my mum had pneumonia on one lung and fluid in the other so had her on a drip of antibiotics and a drain. 4 days after she was admitted doctors diagnosed her with cancer, after 2 weeks of being in hospital she was discharged. I'm her youngest child so she was very apprehensive about telling me anything but eventually found out it was stomach cancer. 

fastforward 7 weeks, mums condition is getting worse and we still haven't had any appointments to see a doctor to find out how bad this disease is or if they can even offer any treatment. 

im absolutely devastated, I'm terrified of losing her and don't know how to cope with the whole thing. I have two small children and it's effecting me massively. I need answers. 

thank you for taking the time to read x

• Hello Beckahlouu

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum's recent illness and the diagnosis that she went on to be given. Obviously, it's been an incredibly difficult time for you all and it's understandable that you want some information and answers about what the next steps may be for your Mum. 

If you have still not had any contact from health professionals, then get in touch with her GP in the first instance. They should have had a letter or information from the hospital and her GP should be able to help. It may help write down a list of everything that has happened, that you want to know, and any particular concerns you have or struggles that your Mum is dealing with at the moment. The GP will hopefully be able to answer some of those points and refer your Mum to any other services such as District Nurses or Occupational therapists to help with things. 

I'd also suggest giving our team of nurses a call. I'm sure they will be able to offer some support and information. If you'd like to speak with them they're available Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm on 0808 800 4040. 

I hope that you're able to get some answers and that some support is put in place soon. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. 

best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi,

thank you so much for your reply. 

we've called the gp but he doesn't know anymore than we do at the moment. he said something about consultants having a monthly meeting? but that he hasn't had any word from them about the plan. it's been weeks since mum left hospital and deteriorating week after week i don't know what else to do. 

I will definitely give the nurses a ring on Monday though to see where we go from here. 

thank you x

• I'm sorry to hear this Beckahlouu. 

Do give our nurses a call but you might also want to consider calling the hospital PALS office as well. It may be that they are able to make some enquiries on your behalf as well. 

I do hope that you get this resolved as soon as possible. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator