Picc line

I am due to have a picc line, can anyone tell me what to expect?

• Hi Resusman62

We've some information here on our website about PICC lines which may be of interest to you.

If you use the forum search function (magnifying glass in the blue bar at the top of the page) to search for the term "picc" you'll see quite a few posts come up where people have shared some of their experiences. You might like to have a read through some of those posts as well. 

Hopefully if any of our current members here have had a PICC line they'll post to share it with you but if you'd like to talk things through with one of our nurses then you're welcome to give them a call. They're available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi, you have probably 'been done' by now. I can't speak for myself, but my husband recently had his out after 11 weeks.

He is the most squeamish, medical adverse person I have ever known! He handled it well. I have to say it was extremely slick. 20 mins start to finish. He said it 'annoyed' him rather than hurt him , but after a week, hardly noticed it. The 'PICC nurse' came literally every week religiously to flush and dress.

As for bath & shower, you're unit will no doubt have some handy tips, but being the sort of 'inventive' person I am, he got a carrier bag , with hole cut in bottom, handles up to shoulder n gaffer tape- worked a treat!