Pet ct scan is it always bad news

My mum has 3a squamous lung cancer and was treated last Aug 2017 with chemo / rads. She has had stable cancer for the past year. They decided to do a CT scan and said they dont know if it is cancer reacurrance or scar tissue in the area of where the rads was done. 

Im so worried about it coming back !!! Has anyone got a rationalle why they would do a pet scan other tban it been cancer as im so worried!!!! 

I would love to here if anyone has had a pet scan after a cancer treatment abd had a positive outcome? 

Thanks xxxx 

• Hi Julie. I've had treatment 17 months ago and when I was in alot of pain couple of months ago, I had a PET scan. They will show any cancer cells in the body so then dr's do more tests to really see if it's cancer. I was very happy to get the result of no cancer cells but bone and joint damage.

The scan is the beat way to see if those ******* cells are present so it's a really good reassurance tool. Go with the flow. When is her scan? My hubby's brother had tumour in lung and they told him that scan may show scar tissue from rad so they weren't going to do it yet but in few months to keep a check. So try not to worry too much - I know easier said than done - but best thing is she's on the radar and being checked thoroughly. Take it easy and keep us posted.

• Hello thanks so much for your response. My mums scan is tomorrow its been a year since her treatment. 

Ill keep you posted on what they say !!! 

Im glad your now in remission now that must be a relief for you !!! Take care xxx