partner’s father given 2 months

Hi there, not sure if I’m posting in the right place but could do with some advice. My partner’s father has recently been diagnosed with what seems to be a very fast spreading and aggressive form of cancer. I don’t know all the details but he was fine at Christmas and it’s all moving terribly quickly(it’s been a couple of months since he started to feel unwell) He was admitted to hospital a month ago while they did further tests and we found out it had spread from his lungs to his bones, liver, lymph, basically everywhere. He can’t swallow and is on a feeding tube and a drip. They were discussing chemo as surgery wasn’t possible but we have just got the bad news that they can’t even progress with chemo, he has been given 2-3 months max. They are focusing on bringing him home so he can be more comfortable there. It’s absolutely heartbreaking for my partner and his family, who I am quite close to, I’m devastated too and know I need to be there for them but with this shocking diagnosis I’m just at a loss for words. Obviously I have said the usual ‘let me know if I can help in any way’ but I just don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing and what to expect. I know grief is a very personal thing and no two people will react in the same way but any advice on how to prepare, what to say, how to deal with the coming weeks would be a great help. My partner and I have been together almost two years and have a great relationship, and so far he has taken the bad news very well. I want to be there for him and his family and support them however I can, it hurts me so much that they are going through this. 

• Hi Opal, A very distressing situation. We all hope that your partner's father can spend his last months as comfortable and pain-free as possible. It sounds to me that you are already contributing a huge amount. You are a key part of the strong, loving family network that surrounds your partner's father. xx Harry

• Hello opal and welcome.    What a terrible time for your partner and his family; all happening so quickly too.  Your partner will probably go through the whole range of emotions during the coming weeks and months and unless - like most of us - you are a mind reader - it may be quite confusing!

www.cancerresearchuk.org/.../how-support-someone-with-cancer

I am attaching some information from the CRUK website relating particularly to supporting someone with cancer.  Much of it may be relevant to your partner - the list of emotions that family members may go through is long!   Some of it may be of help to you - you ask about how you can help your partner's family and carrying out practical tasks may be just the help they need.  I have lost family and friends to cancer; with family I just got on and did things but with friends and neighbours I would just say (depending on the time of year) "Shall I sweep up these leaves for you?"  I am going to the supermarket today - tell me if you want anything"  "I'll cut the grass" or anything that is appropriate.  Be specific rather than just saying "Can I help?"

This will be a difficult time for all of you and you may need to "keep your cool" when emotions are getting difficult to handle for everone.  It sounds as though there is a good stable loving family basis which helps!  Please do come back here and let us know how you and your partner are coping (obviously  you don't have to do this but it might help you).  Best wishes  Annie