Partner diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer

LHi this is my first post on here, my partner who is only 50 was diagnosed 2 weeks ago in A & E we had called an ambulance as he had been ill on and off since November. We thought he had hiatus hernia or something so this came as such a shock. They let him come home 2 days later to build his strength up and put on some of the weight he had lost to get him ready for chemo. After a few days he couldn't even swallow water, hes been back in hospital over a week and hes just fading away in front of my eyes. Hes the youngest person on his ward and hes the sickest. Hes had to have a feeding tube put in hot he just look thinner every day. It's so upsetting I cant stop crying my lovely gorgeous man is just so so ill. Hes so weak and says hes craving something simple like a cold glass of water and he cant even have that. Hes suffered so much this last week and I just dont know if anyone else has been through this and their loved one got even a little bit better

• Hello Coopz-69

I noticed that you'd not had a response so just wanted to pop by to say welcome to the forum and how sorry I am to hear about your partners recent diagnosis. It sounds as if it's been a very difficult time for you both. 

I know that we have members here who will have been in similar circumstances to you and will understand some of what you're feeling. Hopefully they will post soon to share their stories and offer some support. 

Keep in touch Coopz-69 and let us know how you're both doing. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi Coopz 

I've just joined as my husband has just been diagnosed with stage4 lung cancer that has gone to liver. He had liver biopsy last Thurs so now we wait for the results and treatment plan. 

He is 58 and a life long non smoker and feels so unfair. He is feeling tired and annoyed by the cough and breathless feeling

How is your partner now? 

• Hi thanks so much for your reply, my partner not doing good at all he came home after they put the feeding tube in but was back in hospital two days later. He keeps being sick and still wasnt putting on weight so yesterday they operated and took feeding tube our of nose and straight into stomach. I pray this works as he is now just skin on bone and for a 6 foot 4 man he just looks so ill. He is so weak he cannot walk unaided....infact he cant really do anything for himself which is frustrating him so much. He's been so brave through all this but yesterday he told me he was scared and I just cant stop crying. He is due second round of chemo in two weeks and has been told he can start immunotherapy with this round of chemo. I pray now that he can put some weight on and this second round of chemo will shrink the tumour pushing on his throat which is stopping him from being able to swallow properly....and then he can have that ice cold drink that he is so craving at the moment because he has no quality of life st the moment and just to be able to do that would make him so happy right now. Has your partner had his results through yet? Please let me know how things are with you now 

• COOPZ 

I'm sorry to hear about your partner

We're going tomorrow for the 1st oncologist appointment so will update you then and type more

Jo

• Thanks for keeping in touch....my partner got an infection....its just one bad thing after another so is still in hospital. Because of infection they had to stop feeding him and have only just restarted last night. If this feeding tube into stomach doesnt start to work I don't think there's much hope for him. I pray it turns around for him now....thinking of you today

• Sorry for the late reply and for almost butting in but stumbled across this site and your post and felt I had to respond.

My darling, fit , life of the party 44 year old husband started having stomach cramps last summer - various gp,s said it was muscular, hernia, in his head -all sorts !

On 5 Feb was told it was pancreatic cancer with liver mets - stage 4 terminal - goodnight - thanks for coming !

liver biopsy booked for 18 Feb followed by chemo which should improve and pro long life - not cure .

ok we stay positive although my world has just entirely  collapsed - all those christmases we were going to enjoy, holidays to plan, marriages, births, good times with family wiped off the to do list .

And so yesterday , Saturday, hubby is rushed blues and twos into hospital with pneumonia- double just to show off ,
    And so chemo on hold for 4 weeks  as is biopsy- all time this evil disease is spreading .

Strong positive hubby's spirits are at ground level - almost feel like he has thrown in the towel - and I came home, poured a bloody large glass of wine and howled like the proverbial wolf.

How on earth does anyone get through this? Where do you find the strength? Not sure I have it .

Thanks for letting me have this pointless rant x

• Pancreatic cancer is particularly cruel, even by the standards of most cancers. I don't have answers, or even advice. But everyone on this site understands what you are going through, and shares your pain. xx Harry

• I feel your pain. Not that my hubby is 'ill' but in the hopes and dreams stakes.

We were counting the months til he retires at 60, financial advisor involved to ensure we could then start to do everything we have put on hold.

Now are aim is for him to still be with us on that date, and we know its ambitious.

We don't regret putting kids first and the sacrifices we made, but it does seem so unfair!!

Feel free to rant Anytime

Jo Snoopy6691

• Hi Snoopy

Such a cruel disease.

Thank you and all the best to you both xxx