pancreatic cancer

Hi,

My name is andy and i just watched my beloved cousin who was a brother to me die from this terrible disease exactly 8 months after being diagnosed. out for dinner in fen he go severe abdominal pain and vomited wth some blood-EVERYONE THOUGHT IS WAS A STOMACH ULCER. after tests  it was stage 4 pancreas cancer that spread to his liver,  doctors ggave 3-6 months to live. he fought bravely and lasted 9 month becasue of te chemo. went to the best cancer  hospitals.

can someone please explain wjy we can come up with incredible technology ,do heart transplants   sew bac  limbs ,BUT CANNOT COME UP WITH A CURE???????????????

I WATCHED THIS PERSON GO FROM A STRONG 250 POUNG 6 FT 4  TO DIE AT 135 POUNGS AND SAW WHAT CANCER DOES TO A HUMAN BEING.

THANK YOU,

Andrew

• I am sorry to hear of your loss. My sister in law was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic canceer that has spread to her liver, lungs and spleen. I hate this cancer! she has lost about 5 1/2 stone but is fighting. She is having chemo and they say it is shrinking. I have no idea what this means and feeling confused as she is in agony some day :(. I hop you find a way through this. I do have an idea what you are going through and I too feel your anger.

• Sorry for your loss. I've been fighting this cancer for just over a year , I've had fantastic weight loss over the last few months especially , roughly a KG a week. As I was stage 4 when it was first discovered I've been terminal for a year,only palative (?) care, No thoughts from the doctors of getting a win over the cancer just "let him die peacefully". Going buy your cousins weight loss I've about 5-6weeks left,I'm still working driving an Hgv truck through the night,one nights work and im knackered for a day or two though !, For my family's sake I must keep fighting and hang on in there. Thanks for your story. Fraz.
  • Yes, it's awful. I'm not a medic but know that cancer cannot be cured, in some cases, because it is just so chaotic in nature. It starts from a single mutation, which is essentially random. Then as it spreads it continues to mutate. Which makes it really hard to treat with chemo. Every single cell has to be eliminated. Not easy if all the cells are mutating chaotically, making them all different to one another. We know much more about cancer, compared to forty years ago. But this has given us the knowledge that, as a foe, it is much tougher adversary than anyone could have imagined forty years ago.

Pancreatic cancer is particularly deadly because symptoms often only start late. So when it is diagnosed, it has often spread.

There have been success stories. With most forms of testicular cancer, for example, or many childhood leukaemias. These were deadly forty years ago, but will usually be cured today. But this did not help your poor cousin, of course.