pancreatic cancer

my mum has been in hospital fro 3 weeks she was jaundiced and they found she had a blockage in her pancreas

they tried to do ercp but failed due to place of blockage so they did a ptc, the jaundice has almost gone she has hardly any appetite(small meals) she has lost nearly a stone since the week before she was in hospital, she had dark urine and and pale stools

they did a ultrasound and ct scan but said it was too small to confirm what it is, but my gp has told us that it is pancreatic cancer as she has a swelling in the pancreatic head that shouldnt be there and that some oncologist dont give a diagnosis

we had had palliative care nurses to visit to put some care in place to help me as im a lone carer and she feels that mum doesnt have too long

problem is mum doesnt want to think about it because he hasnt told her but im worried that she might get sicker before he tells her(if he ever does)

the gp has given her fresubin to help with her weight, does it make the loose stools worse?

she hasnt been given pancreatic enzymes would they help?

i am feeding her higher calorie food and adding cream and butter to everything

what else should i do? 

• Hi,

My mum is is a similar situation,she has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver,she also had a stent fitted,her appertite was very little and was losing weight quickly.The nurse has given her a very small dose of a steroid,which has turned her life around,she is eating very well and meals the same size as before her cancer,she hasnt lost anymore weight in the last 4 weeks.she has lots of energy and we are managing to get out and about,spending quality time together.

Maybe ask if this is an option for your mum?

take care x

• hi Angela13 thank you, i will ask about the steroids, we are seeing the oncologist on monday hoping he will tell us what is going on, palliative nurse was brilliant she got OT involved andwe now have a electric bed so i can get her up easier and a grab rail in the bathroom.we are also getting a wheelchair so i can take her out for a bit of time before the wet weather starts again and she gets too sick to go out xx
  • still havent got diagnosis, she has to wait for a scan end of june then we see him 10th july for results

her weight loss is only small each week,and he has said we need to see the dietitian to see what can be done.she has herceptin next week to control her secondary lung spots

we now have a wheelchair and have gone out 3 times while the weather has been nice

i feel like we are in limbo,he keeps saying she is only this weak cos she had jaundice, so confused at the moment