Pancreatic cancer

Hi hope this can help my name is Andy and I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in May last year. It all came as a bit of a shock I was 40 years old and a fit man I didn't smoke did not drink a lot and a father to four lovely boy. It started in April when my skin went a bit yellow and the White of my eyes as well. I went and saw a local on call doctor which told me I had a virus and go and rest for a few days. I went home with the wife and I seemed to get worse. So I made appointment with my own gp on the Monday morning best thing I ever did. He had me admitted straight away and I had a stent put in to let my bile throw again which help lots week after I saw a doctor and a McMillan nurse. The weeks wait seemed like a year and like everyone else you start doing your own web browsing and scared myself silly. I was then sent on to an appointment at Leeds where I saw a consultant which explained things more clearly to me and my wife. The best man I have ever meet he operated the next morning and did a whipples opp on me I can't say it was a walk in the park it was not. They took away three quart of my pancreas and repiped me it was a rough old time but I got through it with support from friends and family. Anyway I got the all clear this January. There is hope there for everyone.

• Hi, I always read people's stories with bated breath, praying that there will be a good ending.  Thank God yours was.  I am so pleased for you, you are so young. and with 4 children everything to live for.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

• Hi, I'm another success story (so far!). I was ill for a year with what was suspected chronic pancreatitis - it probably was to begin with - and had innumberable tests and imaging that that only ever showed the head of my pancreas to be inflamed. No cancer was ever detected until I eventually became jaundiced and was admitted to hospital to have a stent fitted. A biopsy was done then and, lo and behold, a dirty great adneocarcinoma revealed itself. Three weeks later I had a PPPD (stomach preserving Whipples) at the Churchill in Oxford which removed a 7cm (!!!) tumour - how that had got past all the imaging I had amazed me. Anyway, I had my results on Friday and the tumour was contained, all the margins were clear and there was no lymph node involvement or secondaries. The surgery cured me. However I have been recommended adjuvant chemo as an insurance policy against any lingering microscopic cells and I'm going to do it, as I'll kick myself if the cancer comes back (it still might but at least I'll have done everything I can to prevent it). 

There is hope - obviously a lot depends on when the cancer is caught and the individual and I count myself as extremely lucky but I just wanted to put a positive story out there.