Palliative Care

Hi All, 

I am new to the forum & hoped to find answers to a few questions I have. My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer around a year ago and yesterday received the news that he is now in palliative care and nothing more can be done. The cancer has spread to his bones and his lymphatic system. My Dad had Chemo & Radio therapy and it has obviously not worked. When asking if a timescale I was told “shor term” not long term. Has anyone had experience of roughly how long this means? My Dads feemer bone had split righ up the middle so he had undergone major surgery during his treatment and has been on ketamine for the pain. He has no quality of life and has been bed ridden for months. In the care he’s in now the nurses are trying to wean him off all these harsher drugs to replace with clean drugs so he is not spaced out. I guess I’m just looking for someone who has been in the same position. I just feel like it can’t be the end. Any help or advice greatly received 

• Hi there ...and welcome ...

So so sorry, your all going through this heartbrake called cancer ... it has No empathy ... no compation .. and I'm afraid no one can tell you a time as everyone is different .. some go quickly, some hold on far longer ... so it's about taking a day at a time ... your brave dad's been through so much on his journey... it must get overwhelming to those close .. 

You can always come here and chat, vent, or put down anything your feeling ... so many have been where you are now ... one of the hardest things we go through in life ... l lost both my parents in my 30s ... and still miss them way down the line ...

So hold his hand ... keep talking, coz even when he looks like he's sleeping he just may still hear you ... so just know your not alone ... there's always someone here will hear you ... sending you a vertual hug ... Chrissie xx