Ovarian cyst

Hi! I’ve never been in a chat room before but I’m a bit scared about what’s happening and I can’t really talk to my boyfriend/family about it at the moment. Long story short I was on my period for too long (probably TMI, sorry) so I went to the doctor. She said it was probably stress-related but she booked me in for some scans at the hospital anyway. I had the scans done and I was told that although they couldn’t find the cause of the bleeding they had an ‘incidental finding’ of a cyst on my right ovary and that it won’t go away on its own. Although I’ve had lots of scans and blood tests I’m not being told much about what’s going on. I keep being told conflicting things, e.g yesterday I was told I was going in for more tests, but it was actually just a chat. I’ve also been told conflicting things about whether it could be cancer and what the next steps are. I’m 24 years old and I’m really scared, I’m trying to be brave but it’s difficult not knowing what’s going on. Apparently I am meeting with a consultant tomorrow but again I’m not sure as I keep being told different things. I was just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar and has any advice/information about what the next steps are? Thank you. 

• Hi,

Just come across you’re post as I’m going through very similar! Thought I had a kidney infection a few days ago so was seen in the hospital as it was during the night I had awful lower back and lower abdo pain for 3 days at that point and was convinced I just needed antibiotics quick as I had one 2 months ago. They kept me there for quite a whilst as my heart rate was too fast and got a temperature. Then started vomiting.

They found no sign of infection but did a CT and found a 3cm cyst on my right ovary. Doctor said that it was unlikely it would cause me pain as it is so small but is possible and I needed to go to my GP for a gynae referral as they can’t do it.

Got straight in the GP the next day and she referred me to gynae but said I need an Internal Examination of my cervix. She said they will do that at Gynae or I can also have it done at GP and I can wait for Gynae to do it. I asked how long my appointment would be and she said a few weeks so I said well I’ll wait then. But then in the next breath she changed her mind and said actually I want you to have one done urgently here!:( so booked in for tomorrow it’s only been 2 days. 

After a chat with GP I did remember that I bled for 4 weeks recently and do often bleed after sex but have put it down to the mini pill as I know it can cause havoc but I’ve been on it for years now. I also got sent for bloods straight away and one of them was the CA125 (that looks at ovarian cancer) but she never said that to me.

Also, just to let you know I’m only 25. I had my first smear 16 months ago and it was clear!:/

xxx

• Hi,

Yesterday I got results from my scan showing a cyst which is filled blood on right ovary and shadow on the left ovary.

I am so scared too. Not sure what to do myself.

I just want to say good luck and I hope it's not anything too serious. 

• Hi, thanks for your reply! It’s scary not knowing what’s going on. I wasn’t told one of my blood tests was for cancer either, I only found out by searching online frantically! I’ve had a couple of transvaginal scans and although they were a little bit painful they were not as bad as I thought they would be. I had a bit of pain during sex too but I had no idea it was a symptom! I feel like I don’t know anything about what’s going on or about ovarian cysts. I’ve never had a smear test before, I had a letter about booking one but then all of this happened. All that I found out today is that I will be having keyhole surgery to remove my tennis ball sized cyst (?!) and they will try to keep my right ovary if possible. Hopefully my surgery should be within the next month but it’s just a waiting game now. I hope everything goes ok for you and if you need to talk I’m here for you. <3 xxx

• Hi, thanks for your reply! I haven’t been told what type of cyst it is, only that it is tennis ball sized and it needs to come out. I didn’t even know that there were different types to be honest! I’ve only known for the past couple of weeks but what happened with me is that they’ve taken a few samples of blood, I’ve had a couple of ultrasounds and transvaginal scans. I’ve been to a few hospital appointments but they haven’t lasted more than an hour. All of the doctors seem reluctant to tell me anything, but I feel like I’d be less scared if I knew more about it. Today I met with my consultant who didn’t tell me much, only that my operation should be in less than a month (I will receive a letter in the post with my date) and that I will have keyhole surgery. I hope that everything goes ok and if you need to talk I am here for you. <3 xxx

• Hi there I am to in the same situation I’m booked in for a colonoscopy in a weeks time and biopsy to be done yet I’m trying to just get through it but it’s hard not knowing so I’m awaiting my surgery it’s very scary but I’m taking one day at a time at the moment. I think searching google is what you do but I rang the nurse up and asked her questions she’s so lovely and been very supportive, I hope all goes well for you 

• I'm currently waiting to find out what my complex cyst is too, and I wish they would just tell me. 

What did yours turn out to be?

• Hi! 

I know this is an old thread and not sure if you will reply but im going through this and not sure who to talk to. 

I've been on the mini pill for years too and started having bleeds lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for the past 5 months. 

I had a cervical examination that showed a cyst on my cervix which they said was normal but today had a US that showed a cyst on my left ovary.. he looked at it as soon as I said im getting shooting pains there . 

Again he said he didn't think that would be the cause of the bleeding and shouldn't cause pain because its small... 

I've noticed more discharge than normal recently too and feel I get it more just before I start to bleed. I only stopped a couple of days ago and again feel like it may come on again .  The last bleed lasted 12 days and it was really thick dark red blood that refused to come out properly so was really uncomfortable. 

I just had this feeling that 'something isn't right' as all my previous breakthrough bleeds have just been a couple of days and light brown in the past. 

I was just wondering what happened to you and the outcome of both your pill issues and the cyst issue and whether they are linked? 

I also hope you're well now xx

• Hi! What I will say is if something doesn't feel right then PLEASE be persistent! It's much better to make sure you get any investigations done properly than to leave it and wait!

I was absolutely fine, I was under a gynaecologist for a whilst and they repeated the scans to make sure it didn't grow. What it did show was that it was almost all around my ovary, almost crushing and twisting it which is why I had the pain! They talked about keyhole surgery but said if they got in and saw that my ovary was badly damaged they would remove it. I was really upset as wanted children and obviously not impossible with one ovary but tougher! So they left it a few months and thank god it shrunk on its own. He did say that it could happen again so me and my husband decided to start trying for a family a year earlier than we had planned to as I didn't want to risk it happening again if it could cause fertility issues. My periods were a bit all over the place off the pill and it took 9 months to fall pregnant but I now have a healthy 4 month old baby girl!

And I've had my second period now and they seem more normal. Hope this helps x