Ovarian cyst

Had a ultrasound scan internal and external 3rd feb

They found a polyp and 2 cyst growing in each other had a ca125 test results normal

My symptoms are brown discharge pelvic pain abdominal pain slight bloating bleeding between periods I'm currently bleeding again a week after finishing bleeding pain during sex brown discharge after sex and back ache

I'm 33 with 2 children

Spoke with the doctor yesterday she told me the gynecologist and ultrasound people etc are having a meeting about me and I'll get an appointment soon

What's the meeting about what will they be discussing do they know what it is 

Anyone with similar or been through this and came out with it all being normal or got the ovarian cancer diagnosis would be grateful of your replies and advice

Thanks

• Without an examination the medics do not know but if they felt it was serious you'd already be in hospital.

.Nor sure I should write this but here goes. 

My sister had bloating due to an ovarian cyst. When removed it tested positive for cancer but was said to have been removed.  She was given optional chemo that went well until the last but two sessions at which point the cancer that was not supposed to be there had spread.

Her friend Jane had similar, no cancer and is fit and well. 

Two stories, two different outcomes.

If course you will be worried but until further tests are carried, there is no point speculating.  You cannot change what has happened but see your doctor to push forward the tests.

• Thank you for your reply 

That is 2 very different outcomes isnt it 

I'll keep busy and try to take my mind of it which is hard 

Appreciate your reply mp108

• Hi Babz86, i am in a similar situation.  I went to the doctors for bloating, and stomach pain, thinking it came from some food intolerances, then was sent for a full blood count, the usual and a CA-125 test.  These results came back quickly and my GP called me and said that my CA-125 was raised at level 60m ad that he had arranged a pelvic ultrasound and a Transvaginal ultrasound which i had last weekend. My GP phoned me yesterday to say the results were back (which was quick) and that i have a cyst on both ovaries with one being larger than the other, but my uterus is of normal thickness which is good news, so this morning they sent me for a urgent repeat blood test to see if my CA-125 levels have increased.  Have to wait now until early next week to see if the level is raised and i am thinking all sorts, just like most would, and mostly thinking the worst!

I am still getting bloating, on and off so know it is no longer related to food, due on my period tomorrow which i know wil be heavy as it has been for months now and have the most unbelievable pain, but i know that i have to try not to worry until i hear back from the doctors but that is easier said than done.

Fingers crossed we get negative results for cancer, but some of the threads i have read on here are pretty positive, try not to listen to others horror stories as that makes things a lot worse.

• Hi angie a

Sorry for delay in my reply only just got the notification you had replied 

I cant wait to get my appointment letter I just want to know what's going on and I want know what my meeting was about and what they are thinking it is and what was said 

I'll post as soon as a letter comes through

Still worried and waiting 

Hope your well and fingers crossed for normal results on the ca125 for you 

And fingers crossed for a non cancer diagnosis x

• Hi, I just read your story and hope that you are OK now. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the outcome since you wrote this post. I am pretty much in the same boat as you were. My story is below. Thanks for listening .

I am 37 with 2 kids 5 and 8. I have ALWAYS had regular periods and only ever missed it once or twice in my life, probably in my teens which is not uncommon for the most part. More than 5 years ago I discovered a very tiny little lump near the opening of my vagina, kind of like a pimple under the skin. It was NEVER painful or anything. I never got it checked out which is totally stupid of me looking back now. However, over the past year I started experiencing a little discomfort during sex, otherwise it never hurts. Then approximately 8 months ago I missed my period for 3 months which was EXTREMELY UNUSUAL for me, so I went to the GP and they said maybe I am pregnant or it could be due to stress or other lifestyle changes which I totally doubted. I certainly was not pregnant as I had taken multiple pregnancy tests. The GP also examined my lump and said it was most likely a Bartholin cyst as it had been their for a while. Due to covid everything was postponed. My period did return after 3 months and then stopped again after 2 months. I went to hospital about 6/8 weeks ago when the initial spotting started and they tested for pregnancy which was negative and the doctor used a speculum to look at my cervix but said she could not see where spotting/bleeding was coming from. She said my cervix looked healthy but it wasn't really a thorough exam if you know what I mean. My spotting stopped but it started again, the same brownish sort of discharge for up to 2 weeks. I thought it was my period trying to start but it stopped again after 2 weeks. Then about 3 weeks ago the same spotting started and gradually it started to become heavier and heavier and it was mostly bright red, which alarmed me. I also had about 4 clots the size of a pound/50 pence. I have always had small clots/bad cramping with period since childhood. My spotting for 2 weeks/(period I think 5/6 days sine spotting started which is normal period for me) has now stopped but my MAJOR concern is the little twinges/ dull cramping/backache/leg pain I get now. Sometimes when I go to the bathroom now I see a little brown spotting or watery discharge but other times nothing. I will be going to see the Gynaecologist on Tuesday for exam/further tests. I should point out that I had a smear done in February of this year and it was normal. I have had 3 smears done since 2003 and they were all normal. I am totally freaking out right now. I also recently did bloods and I was told that the GP will call me next week Friday as I might have BORDERLINE HYPOTHYROIDISM, this can also affect my periods. I have loads of symptoms for this for more than 10 years. Please try not to stress out too much as this could all be nothing. So sorry to write such a long letter but I am trying to give as much details as possible. I just feel SO HELPLESS AND DEPRESSED at the moment. I am sure we will be OK. 

• Hi 

I had a appointment in July with the gynecology team I had a hysteroscopy oh god what an ordeal that was I passed out 

The polyp they saw on my scan wasnt there anymore she wants another ultrasound to look for the cyst I'm still waiting for that appointment 

I still have the weird bleeding and pain and pain in sex so I'm still none the wiser as to what's going on 

I hope you get seen soon and they do all the test etc and I hope you get some answers soon keep me updated 

And I'll update when I get my ultrasound appointment x

• Thanks for replying......Ommmgggg, the medical team still has not figured out what is wrong. This must be so frustrating for you. I have my pelvic exam tomorrow and honestly I am a little numb. Pretty much expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Do you have any tests/exams scheduled. The brown discharge/spotting has gone now for the last 4 days or so. I think i had my normal period come back after MIA for 2 months. I still have a dull pelvic/lower abdominal pain intermittently and super bloated as well. I am so stressed right now, I am just about functioning. I hope they will see clearly what is going on tomorrow. Will update this post.

• I'm waiting for the repeat ultrasound appointment and they will go from there I feel.like I've pretty much been forgotten especially with this covid business 

Oh I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope all is well 

Update me when you know x

• Hi, thanks for your message. I am so sorry that you have been basically pushed to the side by the NHS. I swear you literally have to beg the GP and medical professionals to help you. It is absolutely disgusting that this is where urgent medical diagnosis/treatment is at in 2021. I had quite a few replies/updates on the Cancer research UK website, so i have written one reply and then copied and pasted it to everyone, as i tried to write back to everyone separately i got so tired halfway through writing the same thing over and over. Lol . Please omit any details not relevant to you. I am hopeful that you will get everything sorted out sooner rather than later.  I hope to hear from you soon. My update is below 

I just did my pelvic exam yesterday which included using the speculum to see my cervix and also having a look at my lump near my vaginal opening. It was all round GOOD NEWS, THANK GOD..... My lump was determined as a Bartholin Cyst and they will do minor surgery to drain it as it is causing issues when I have sex, otherwise it does not hurt. Secondly, the Gynaecologist said my cervis looks healthy and he did not see any polyps or anything else for concern. Thirdly, the blood tests that I did came back as NEGATIVE for HYPOTHYROIDISM, but I have very low IRON, which sounds about right as I have no energy sometimes and I have been ANAEMIC lots of times in the past. I just ordered some iron tablets that won't make me constipated. You need to ask your for a blood test that checks for thyroids. Lastly, just for my peace of mind, I have asked the Gynaecologist to do a scan just to see if there might be anything on my ovaries or lining of my womb as I still haven't found an explanation to the missing periods and brown discharge/pain in lower abdominal area. I have.not felt any pains/cramps for the last 24 to 36 hours and my spotting has finished for almost 2 weeks. Next period is due 2nd to third week next month so I will keep fingers crossed to see if everything goes back to somewhat normal for me. Also, I only feel pain during sex, right where the.lump is. And no pain otherwise, so hopefully minor operation will fix this. I will call hospital to see if they can give me any dates on operation/scan. Honestly, I am just relieved that I am OK. I am still somewhat a little stressed in the back of my head until I do scan and minor op. I will ask doctor to give me CA 125 blood test as well. I want rule out every possibility for any issue going unchecked. What tests/scans have.you done

• Hiya! 

I was wondering what your outcome was? 

I knew something wasn't right with my body a few months ago. I've been on mini pill for 14 years with no problems, then this year, lots of breakthrough bleeding lasting 2/3 weeks at a time with only a small break in between..

I have a cyst on my cervix (where yours is) and now I've been told I have a cyst on my left ovary but its only small..

Apparnrtly the cyst shouldn't cause bleeding but im not convinced, and if its not the reason then just why? 

They said small cysts shouldn't cause pain which is a laugh as I keep getting sharp pains on that side and feeling very full and uncomfortable all the time. 

I finished a 12 day bleed only 4 days ago and this morning more brown discharge, normally I could deal with just that but i now don't know if it will get worse or not .

Im struggling with sleep, eating and generally being unhappy now. Xxx