Oncotype dx

I’ve just had my Oncotype DX score of 31 and chemo is recommended, I’m scared and devastated , after initially being told I wouldn’t need chemo , feeling unsure , can anyone help and advise me please x

•  

HI Blobby,

Welcome to our forum.

I am so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and, now the advice to have chemo. Sadly, this is something that only you can decide and you've got to ask your surgeon all the questions you need before you can make an informed decision.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 8 years and have only had hormone therapy, but my cancer is less aggressive than yours.

Whatever decision you reach, you need to be happy that it is the right one for you. Draw up a list of questions to bring with you next time you see your consultant or oncologist and, don't be afraid to ask them.

Do please let us know how you get on. we are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hello Blobby57

am in exact same situation and see my oncologist today. I got score of 30 and was devastated as had grade 2 stage one, no vascular or lymph involment. Set for rads and hormones which is crap anyway. I don’t understand how this test can change the good path results but I know it’s the gene expression but it’s not 100% reliable it’s statistics and for our age ( I’m 60) we are still borderline. I don’t want to be scared into doing chemo. I’ve read so much but can’t anymore! According to my report there’s a 19pc of distant recurrence in 9 years but that is 81pc chance not. I don’t see how chemo changes that? It never kills all the circulating cells and kills our immune system. Feel like a lamb to the slaughter and devastated by this result as my doc said she wasn’t worried about me at all. How are you doing? Hope all going well :)

• Hello, just picked up this thread....I go to hospital today to find out my treatment plan....had a lumpectomy 2weeks ago and scared to death they will say I need chemo.....so I totally understand your feelings....I will need a lot of persuading I can tell you! Your odds sounds pretty good without it ( but I a no doctor) 

good luck with it all...isn't it scary!! Xxx

• Hi I start my chemo next Tuesday I am dreading it , I did consider refusing chemo , but if my cancer comes back I will be saying what if I had chemo , but then even with chemo I know it could come back , just wish I was strong enough to take my chances , but I also keep thinking my oncologist must know what’s best for me , mustn’t he? , it’s a bloody minefield , xx

•  

Hi Marlyn,

How did you get on when you visited the hospital on Monday?

I hope that it went well.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx