Oesophagectomy - 4 weeks on

Hello again, I thought the following information of our experience would help others in a similar situation. 

My lovely husband was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in August 2017. He had nine weeks (3×3 week cycles) of chemotherapy which he came through with flying colours. Very little side-effects other than tiredness and tingling sensation in his fingers.  There was a few weeks gap to regain his strength and he had an operation to remove 7 inches of his oesophagus and the top half of his stomach on 29th December. Unfortunately because of the location of his tumour the surgeon had to make an incision into his windpipe which in turn caused several complications including a collapsed lung and lung infection. My lovely man also had micro leaks from his surgery site and had to be fed via a tube for the best part of four weeks. He spent, in total, about two weeks in critical care.  He started eating, once his micro leaks had healed naturally, a week ago and was allowed home on Friday.  Last night he had  his first  dumping session which has lasted about 8 hours and has left Steve completely exhausted ( I have checked with his nurse that there is nothing untoward and she has reassured me that, given his diet yesterday which was high in fat – my attempt to get calories into him –  he is just going through a particularly unpleasant episode) .

So, the purpose of this little note is to try and reassure anybody out there going through a similar experience that no two patients are identical and every patient and carer all have their own versions of the truth. We have a wonderful sponsor who went through this three years ago. He, unfortunately suffered terribly through the chemo but sailed through the operation and was out and eating within a week.

What I am learning to accept is that this is not a quick fix, six months on we are, very likely, still at the start of our story but so far there is nothing we haven’t coped with– You just have to take each day as it comes and try to keep your sanity and a sense of humour! 

One final thought. Steve has been given the opportunity to join three clinical trials. He has grabbed the opportunity of all three with both hands. Without these clinical trials progress takes longer and we are receiving the very best medical care and attention and given the very best chance due,in part, because of  people who have gone before us and volunteered their services and experiences to these trials. So please, if you are given the opportunity, go for it – you will not only be helping yourself but you will be helping future sufferers. 

Good luck everybody 

• Hi SusanRuth,

Thanks for sharing your good news and the story leading up to it with us all :-)

I hope your husband continues to inprove over the coming weeks.

Best wishes
    Dave

• Hi my mum had the surgery 5 weeks ago and is still in considerable pain. The surgeon had to break one of her ribs to gain access and this seems to be part of the problem. She is also struggling to retain food, every 3 days she has a bout of vomiting or dumping which seems to expel everything she has had over the past few days. She's always been strong and has a high pain tolerance but this is really getting her down and hampering her recovery.  Doctors say all ok at the moment - any advice on how to help her get through this very difficult time would be gratefully received.

• Hi there Georgie ...

I'm really sorry, your having such a tuff time at the mo ... 

This is a tread started by a wonderful lass in Jan 2018 ... she does pop back occasionally...  as she tries to help so many on here ..but just in case [@SusanRuth]‍  misses it .. . All I can do  in answering it will take you back to the start .. and hopefully one of our @moderators  or @ask the nurses ... Will pick this up ... 

Chrissie  xx

• Hi Georgie07

I'm sorry your Mum is still struggling after her op.  I hope she is feeling better today.

I'm not sure how much you know about the Ivor Lewis procedure, but it is an operation performed on some patients suffering from upper GI tract cancer.  It's what Steve (my hubby) had and sounds like what your Mum had.  It is in 2 parts.... it's operations if you like.  One incision in the front and the other under the arm/back requiring a rib to be broken.  They do this (I understand, to deflate the lung to get to the oesphagus).  So yes, I can well imagine your Mum is still in pain, but hopefully her medical team are managing her pain levels.

When I wrote my post back in 2018 Steve had only been out of hospital a few days and what we thought was dumping (we were told it was dumping) was actually a hernia.  In fact Steve suffered 2 hernias.  As a result I can't tell you much about dumping but I can tell you that hernia are not uncommon following this operation.  

If you Mum is experiencing moderate or severe pain in her abdomen area for a prolonged period of time (hours)  a hernia MAY be the cause but will need to be diagnosed via a scan.  If she is suffering from symptons, which alleviate after a dumping episode, it sounds like your Mum is one of the patients who will suffer from dumping.  Not only is dumping a common side effect of this operation it is expected.  The good news is that it does get less severe over time... months rather than weeks I'm afraid and your Mum will probably always struggle to eat some foods - bread is one particular culprit by all accounts, but each patient is different.

Please talk to your Mums medical team, and have a dig around on this website for more info.

Take care of yourself and sending you all lots of love and luck 

Ruth xxx

@Chriss - always here when you need me xxx