Oesophageal cancer

Hi, 

ive read so many posts on here so I thought I'd post myself, my dad is currently going through the tests for oesophageal cancer, for the past 10 weeks he's had symptoms that suddenly got worst he had a camera down his throat last week and gave him only a very slim change of it not being cancer he had biopsy's and is later today going for a CT scan and has another test next week, I'm still struggling to get my head around it all, he's 55 and just built a bungalow like how can one minute he be fine then the next not, it's absolutely heart breaking seeing him try to eat, a lot of my family memebers have had cancer but this is one I know very little about, I really don't know what to expect im at the stage where I'm trying to be positive and pray by some miracle it's not cancer but at the same time I want to prepare if it is,  he is the strongest man I know he really is, I've read a lot that when you get those types of symptoms then it's usually at a late stage, I'm really just looking for other people's experiences with this type of cancer, i have a disabled son, a young daughter I'm trying to help my mum and dad through this awful time and I literally can't sleep it's constantly on my mind I hate the unknown. I'm very much my fathers daughter I'm extremely strong and I made a promise to myself that I would be as strong as I can and then when I'm alone is my time to break down, but I don't really have any friends or anyone I can lean on my parents have always been the ones I've gone to with all my problems and worries we are such a close family so I thought maybe just getting saying it on here would maybe help me and if I can try and understand it better. 

• Hi Jenko1,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I'm sorry to read what you are all going through at the moment with this. It sounds as if there a lot of unknowns at the moment, so hopefully you will be able to find out more about all this soon and then understand the situation and any potential next steps.

You mention being strong for your family which is great, but make sure you take time to look after yourself too. Being strong also means things like speaking to others, letting emotions out, taking care of yourself and taking time to do things for you too. If you feel you don't have others around you to talk to, then hopefully this forum can act as a safe space for you - to reach out to others or simply to write things down. We're always here for support.

If it comes to it, there are also organisations who can offer support if you need it at any point - like Macmillan.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Today they diagnosed my dad with oesophageal cancer, and he's got to wait for a PET scan before they decide his treatment, don't think I've ever been more heartbroken and thank you Ben 

• Hi Jenko

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Having been there myself it's horrible, your dad will most probably be offered chemo. It is incredibly hard, it really is. But taking to others really helps. Spending as much time with your dad also helps. This is what I'm doing... my dad has responded well the chemo and I'm sure your dad will! Always hear to talk x 

• Am very sorry to hear this, my husband was diagnosed with the same on 16th November, I know how scary and overwhelming it can be, am here if you want to chat about it anytime. My husband starts chemo on monday. Thinking of you and your dad. 

• Hi can I please ask what we're initial symptoms and for how long my mum was fit and healthy before having covid dec and now looking like she has oesophageal cancer I'm petrified as we lost my dad 4 years ago to cancer mum is only 59

• Hi, my husbands initial symptoms were trouble getting food down, and rapid hiccups when eating. 
    Any issues with swallowing food need investigation. Good luck to your mum x