Newly diagnosed with oesophageal cancer

Hi, I was diagnosed on 7th Sept and am currently in the middle of tests to ascertain if it has spread. Ive had MRI and Pet Scan and am waiting on a Laparoscopy on 31st Oct.. I'm finding this period difficult and have had a number of conversations with McMillan nurses which have left me really down.  

• Welcome to the forum Rob.

I'm sorry you're finding this period difficult but I'm glad you've joined us as many of our members have found themselves in similar situations so will know how you're feeling at the moment and now that I've replied I'm sure some of them will be along soon to offer their support and advice.

Do feel free to use the 'search forum' option in the blue box above if you'd like to join in on other discussions that are similar to your own as well.

I hope your laparoscopy goes well next week Rob and I'll have my fingers crossed that your cancer hasn't spread.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Rob,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis, welcome to Cancer Chat and good luck with your next tests and scans which will confirm the type, stage, and HER status of your OC. This will inform the treatment options you have available.

For what it’s worth I had a similar depressing first conversation with my MacMillan nurse when I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I politely declined her invitation to have a look around our local hospice to discuss end of life care! I think they must have a standard “welcome to MacMillan care” talk for cancer patients.

Best wishes

Dave