Newly diagnosed - Stage 2 Melanoma

Hi all

Feeling a bit fragile and anxious so reaching out to others in similar position rather than add to my partner's stres at this time of uncertainty.

After a referral from my GP my consultation on Dermatology led to surgery an hour later and within 2w a diagnosis of a stage 2 Melanoma.

Awaiting news of date for next steps - wide excision and sentinel biopsy - which will likely be over the Xmas period, so facing the prospect of telling family before I really know what I'm telling them as it will impact on travel plans and, inevitably, mood and desire to have festive fun.

Mum had melanoma and non Hodgkin lymphoma and died within months of diagnosis at around the age I am now. I was 20. I have a 2.5yo and the possibility of invasive treatment or worse and the impact on her and my other half destroys me.

Not really expecting solutions/ a fix from this group, but hoping that a cathartic space to share concerns frees my family space of the pressure and some of the anxiety I can already feel building.

• Hi Teaspoon74,

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you lost your mum to melanoma & non Hodgkin lymphoma. I'm guessing she passed away a few years ago? Please know that treatment for melanoma has moved forward swiftly over the years and is showing great results so less people are dying from melanoma, instead they are either living a long time with it or even beating it. I was diagnosed Stage 1 in 1996 and then Stage 3 in 2009. I'm still here with No Evidence of Disease (the melanoma equivalent of remission) without any drug treatment (which is now offered to Stage 3 patients). So a melanoma diagnosis isn't as desperate as it once was. 

I know how worrying it is whilst waiting for your Wide Local Excision and Sentinel Node Biopsy - I hope it can be carried out quickly so that you know exactly what stage you are from the results. Having a little one & coming up to Christmas you should be able to look forward to sharing it with your family and you will feel really deflated and despondent. I know it's easier said than done but don't let it tarnish your family Christmas - spend lots of time sharing fun with your little one & husband and it will make the waiting go much quicker. I will send you a friend request - if you accept it we can keep in touch by private message. 

Good luck with the surgery and please let us know how you get on,

Angie