Newly diagnosed lymphoma

i am a 53 year old husband & proud father of twin boys & thought I was relatively fit & healthy. After a year of visiting dermatology due to chronic itching (without success) and being prescribed numerous creams, anti histamines& immunosuppressants, my last visit revealed several low lymphocytes blood tests, as well as raised lymph nodes in neck & armpits. I generally feel ok apart from the itching, tiredness (I put this down to broken sleep due to itching at night) & hot sweats but am still continuing to exercise and continue life normally.
I was sent to haematology who immediately stated that I had lymphoma but unsure which type. Had 3 underarm lymph biopsies this week & an appointment with haematologist to discuss results next week.
What can I expect next on this journey regarding scans, treatments,etc.
What should I tell work? I expect to be off but how for how long should I warn them I will be absent?

Any advice is much appreciated.

• Welcome to the forum Paddington3907 although I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with lymphoma.

We have a section on our website about lymphoma that will tell you more about the process and what to expect just here if you'd like to have a look but if you have any questions do give our cancer nurses a call. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

It may be best to wait until you've found out from your haematologist what type of lymphoma you have and what the next stage of the journey will be before you let your work know how much time you need off. If you have any other questions playing on your mind, make a note of them and take them with you to your appointment so you can get them answered.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator