Newly diagnosed grade 3 ER/PR-ve BC with lymph node

Hi,

Looking for some comfort & positive stories here. I was diagnosed with grade 3, ER/PR-ve breast cancer last week. Her2 status is still pending. There was one enlarged LN on ultrasound which turned out to 'have some disease' in it as per the consultant. It felt like it was a very long journey for me.

It took 5 days before my GP able to see me, 3 weeks before seen in the hosp, another week before biopsy, a week later for the diagnosis. I'm having my MRI today & bone & CT scan next Monday. I'm so worried that it has been 6 weeks since I first noticed this lump and nothing has been started in terms of treatment. 

I have BC in my family so I have been self examined regularly. It surprised me that this 3.3cm lump seems to appear overnight. And now I'm worried that in these 6 weeks it has progressed especially it it grade 3 and it is in the node as well. I'm losing my sleep over it & sometimes feels angry & frustrated over the health system. I heard different stories from other BC survivors on how quickly they were diagnosed & given treatment at the very same hosp I'm attending. Can somebody with similar diagnosis as me share their experience on their treatment timeline? Much appreciated.

• Hi Aries24 

I just wanted to drop you a line and say you are not alone. 

I have been diagnosed with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma which they have also found in the lymph nodes they biopsied  

I had a CT scan a couple of days ago and have an MRI on Monday.

It's an incredibly scary time and sending you lots of love x 

• Hi Harker1,

Thank you for your reply. It is indeed scary isn't it. It has been an absolute roller coaster of emotions for me. Just as I thought I can take it & ready to fight, it all crumbled down and I have to pick myself up again. At times, I couldn't even sleep. I have 4 kids and the youngest is 18months. I'm just very anxious that 6 weeks has passed..

I had my MRI today. It was fine. A bit loud but manageable. I will have my CT & bone scan on Monday. I was very healthy before. Never thought that I will need these scans at least until I'm a granny I just hope things will sail through quickly for both of us after this.. sending you my thoughts & love x

• Your story, along with the waiting times mirror that of my wife's. She started her first treatment last Thursday. From the mouth of our oncologist, those weeks that you are waiting from finding the lump, to treatment starting make no difference. Nothing will change during this time.

I know how crap all this waiting is, but you'll be fine with these small waits (though a week seems like a year if truth be told).

• Thank you very much for your reply. I find it is very hard to believe that nothing will change in the waiting time. The cancer won't stop growing by itself wouldn't it I understand that the doctors are trying to keep things easier for us but honestly, I would prefer an honest and straight answer. Just like my doctor said there's "some" disease in the node. It's either there or it is not, "some" doesn't make it any less worrying. And he quickly dismissed the grade 3 as being just growing differently from other grades. Enough of me ranting. I hope your wife is coping well with treatment & will be back to good health soon. Sending her my thoughts