Newly diagnosed breast cancer

Hi everyone. I had my mammogram in June and was recalled. They had found an abnormally in my left breast. I had a biopsy which came back as normal tissue. However, the breast care clinic wanted to find out was this little lump was and so I had another biopsy. I was told on Friday that it is cancer. It is small, less than 1cm and I am having a lumpectomy on 20 August. My life has suddenly gone in a downward spiral, what with my sister in law passing away with cancer of the vulva at the beginning of the year, my cousin dying of a sudden heart attack whilst on holiday in Disneyland with his family in April, my youngest son, leaving to work and live in America tomorrow ....the list goes on. .... I keep trying to tell myself everything will be fine, but I am panicking every so often and just want to run to the hills and scream!

• Hi jenni,

sorry to hear you are having a bad time atm, it seems life has a way of knocking you down from all directions.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April, I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed, they managed to get all the cancer and I have just started a course of 15 sessions of radiotherapy. You say the lump was very small, smaller than mine, you will get through this, it sounds like you are a strong woman with all the things that you and your family have been through.  This forum is amazing for answers and support, I would just say that every bodies stories are different and people react in different ways, keep strong, sending love xx

• Thanks so much for your reply. Got a 94 year old aunt in hospital too, she has had a fall, broken her shoulder and has dementia. Due to this and my problems she will have to go into a home. Been looking after her for 10 years although she has a daughter who hadn’t even visited her for 6 years. I feel dreadful about it, but can’t keep up with everything. Glad you are doing OK. I was loathe to register on here, but need to speak to people who know the score xxxx

• Jenni,

it does make you wonder what we have done to deserve all this, last year my daughter suffered her first miscarriage then suffered another one over Xmas and new year and had to go into hospital for surgery twice, then on the day we found out the second pregnancy wasn’t viable my mum had a nasty fall and needed an op on her badly gashed arm then my daughter was taken into hospital again with a suspected bleed on the brain, luckily she was ok then I was diagnosed then last week my beloved cat of 20 years was put to sleep. I’m sure all these things are sent to tryers cos they know we are strong women. I cried more over the cat than I ever had over me, Im still very positive and am taking it all in my stride, you will do the same when you’ve had your op and a plan is made, keep your chin up babe xx

• Hi again,

know just what you mean. Sorry about your *** cat, I love my animals too (sometimes more than some people eh. ) currently don’t have any of my own but got 4 grand dogs .

onwards and upwards will now be my slogan and I will be following your lead. Thank you x