Newly diagnosed 2 year old

Hi all, I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if these questions have been asked before. My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with unilateral Wilms Tumour and starts chemo this week. I know side-effects can vary from person to person and drug to drug, I'm just wandering what other people's experiences are with regards to hair loss and skin and mouth changes and immunity and so on goes. Our 5 year old is at school so she comes home with everything that's going around just now! And our son likes to play with his hair, it's a little comfort habit he's got when he's sad or tired.

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi there, and welcome to our little chat room  ... I'm so sorry I can't answer your question, as I'm a breast cancer lady... but just wanted to send you all a huge hug ... my two youngest grandkids are about the same age as your two ... and my heart goes out to you ... cancer is unfare, and cruel, but when it comes to these brave toddlers, and young ones, it really makes me angry ... 

You sound a wonderfull mum, and I'm sure that is what will help you through ... when l see what those little ones are like, l feel really humble, and that's one of the things l took on board ... if they can handle this, then I'm sure I can ...  one thing may help could be getting him used to cuddling one of those dolls with long hair ... you could all get one, and say, these are special dolls, that need someone to love, and it makes them happy, when we play with their hair ...

I hope our 'ask the nurses ' will pick this up, as they may have some more info for you .. and there's a help line on here, or McMillan have a free phone number too, and you can ask them anything .. phone them as much as you need to... if they don't know, they get back to you ... but it's from Mon to Fri... so hope you get others that may be able to help ... sending you all a big hug... Will be thinking of you all  Chrissie xx

• I am so sorry, this is every parents' nightmare no matter how positively you make yourself respond.  I don't know if you have met or spoken with other parents whose children have Wilms tumour; like so many childhood cancer it is not so very common.  I expect you have been given all the relevant inormation like the good treatment stats and how to contact the Childhood Cancer and Leukaemia Group who may be able to help with your enquiry.   MacMillan also posts a lot of useful information.  Do keep posting here if we can help.