New to this

My name is sharon and I have recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, complete shock as I didn't have the usual symptoms. I've joined this as I'm not sleeping too well, wonder why? 

Treatment plan not speeded yet but seem to be having lots of test.

i keep telling myself there is always someone worse off than me but it's hard to get my head around what's happening.

• Hello Sharon

Sorry that you find yourself on this forum.  It, is such a shock when you get a cancer diagnosis especially as you are young and had no symptoms.  I do not know how you feel as it was my son that had the same diagnosis as you, he had secondary liver cancer as well.  As his parents we would have swopped places in a heartbeat  but cancer cares not who it touches.  One person either on this forum or the macmillan one, asked himself why me? then why not me? I have realised since joining these forums how many people have cancer and how many people love and care for people with cancer.  It is truly frightening.  We decided to do everything that could be done to help my son and his new wife, quality time, together time, family time, memory making time, there are so many different endings to the cancer story and no two people are alike.   It is the strangest of times .  I wish you and your family all the best.  On the macmillan forum you can join a group specific to bowel cancer and there are a lot of folk on it who can advise from the  person with the cancer point of view.   I think there needs to be a screening process for your people my son was 35 and everyone told him it was very unusual for someone his age to have this cancer and from reading these sites it is not as uncommon as they say.  I hope i have not rambled on too much, sending a virtual hug to you all.

lesliexx

• Hi Sharon,

You are experiencing one of the many rollercoaster phases that this awful disease brings with it. The shockm of the diagnosis coupled with the rush of the follow-up tests makes this process quite scary and often disorienteing. Speaking from experience, it does get better and you will find out that there are many kind and caring people who will help you through this taxing time.

Leslie's message is lovely and filled with many truths - Love those close to you, build memories and set goals. All these things make facing the treatment so much more bearable. 

Your personal journey facing cancer is just that, personal. Your reaction to it, whatever that is, is quite normal and completely understandable. It is a huge shock at the moment but when you're past this phase you will be ready to deal with whatever the cancer throws at you.

Remember,  there is so many things that Doctors can do these days and with the strength of your family, I believe we will all live for many more years to come.

FYI - I had Pancreatic Cancer 3 years ago and I'm currently starting a battle with Prostate Cancer.

Stay positive and stay strong.

Dave