new to Forum

hi all. I was diagnosed with terminal Pancreatic Cancer on 23rd December 2014. I had attended the Oxford Churchill Hospital to be given a date for an op. To remove a benign growth from the tail of the Pancreas. Instead I was hit with the unexpected information that a shadow had been discovered well ensconced in the Pancreas and it was too dangerous to remove. I have since had five sessions of Radiotherapy and will be seeing an Onchologists on 16th -April to investigate the progress of the Cancer  prior to starting Chemotherapy.I am a 68 y.o. Male in Bucks. Tonight on this site I have learned about Nonoknife procedure for Pancreatic Cancer and will be chasing up the possibilities of receiving the treatment. As it is not on the NHS I realise that I need to obtain more information as to the suitability in my particular case but it is the first glimmer of hope I have had thus far. If anyone else has any experience of Nanoknife I would greatly appreciate feedback. Many thanks Ted

• Hi and welcome here. My brother in law many years ago had this cancer - but it was before there was any treatment at all. I have heard that this nanoknife seems a step forwards in treatment. Treatment for pancreatic is advancing at a pace.

All the best to you - and thank you for coming on here. Welcome - its a nice site and there are some people I am sure know all about it.  

• I have looked into Nanoknife because of the spread to my liver - I have a number of recently discovered tumours.  You will find there are some press articles about its successful use on pancreatic cancer patients, just google nanoknife daily mail and it should come up.  

It is not funded by NHS but is regarded as a very safe procedure.  I am expecting to have Nanoknife surgery within a couple of weeks to remove and have just had the first 3 tumours removed using another technique which is microwave ablation.  

I tracked down a leading clinical radiologist and arranged a private consultation.  I obtained my CT scan image records from the NHS and took them with me.  Once you can have a proper discussion with the man himself and he has done an assessment then you can be more certain what your options are.  

The NHS won't fund this because they require more research to be done. There is a lot of evidence out there of its success in use in liver, pancreas, lungs and other sites.  It is being used in a lot of other countries now but of course it is expensive.  It offers some hope to people who would otherwise be inoperable.

I hope this is useful.  Gill

• I too have had nanoknife on two  tumours in my liver. The tumours were growing on major veins and deemed inoperable. The hospital staff were telling me how effective it is proving to be with pancreatic cancer.

I had it done at the princess grace hospital in london. X

• Thank you so much for the response and the encouragement.

Many thanks

Ted.:)

•  

Hi Gill,

Thank you for your response which is really hekpful.

Regards

Ted