Hi, my name is Paul, just been diagnosed with lung cancer, I'm not scared just feels surreal at the moment, have yet to see a consultant but I AM scared about that, my wife and kids think all will be OK, and don't seem bothered, feel OK, no pain, but not eating,....is this normal?

•  

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. There is nothing to be scared about in seeing a Consultant. I think that many of us do not understand the implications of a cancer diagnosis in the first instance. What ages are your children? I am sure that when you undergo some tests the family will suddenly seem a lot more bothered and rally round.

Was it the fact that you are not eating which brought you to see the doctor? I am afraid that I am not a medic and don't know much about early stage lung cancer. I have had two bouts of breast cancer. I am sure that someone with first hand experience of lung cancer will be along to answer your question soon.

Kind regards,

Jolamine

• Hello Paul.  I am sorry to hear of your lung cancer diagnosis. When my husband was first diagnosed it was a big shock to us. He had flu like symptoms and shortness of breath which prompted me to make an appointment  for him to see his GP. He was given antibiotics and sent for an x ray the next day which showed a shadow on his right lung so the following week he had a CT scan. We got appointment to see a consultant 10 days later but in the meantime the GP came to our house to tell us that the scan showed a 7cm. tumour on his right lung and there our 6 month journey with cancer began.

I think it is very normal to be scared about seeing the consultant, I know we were but I do think that once we know what we are facing it makes it a bit more bearable. At our first appt. with the consultant she told us that Alan had a 7cm. tumour on his right lung which suggested a diagnosis of lung cancer. She arranged an appointment for him to have a bronchoscopy to determine the type of cancer and the stage.

I am wondering if maybe you are not eating because you are worried or is there a physical reason?

I do hope that you get some support and that you get your appt. with the consultant soon. Please let us know how you go.

Sending kind thoughts and best wishes.

Lynne.