Hello.  I am moved, and inspired too, by the huge challenges people are facing and the courage you have...

I am 75yrs of age, and have recently undergone a Wide Lesion Excision, under local anaesthetic.  I am being treated with the utmost kindness & care, and have suffered no pain at any point.  Unfortunately surgery wasn't entirely successful and further steps are to be taken, the first of which is a PET test.  I am deeply grateful for all the help I am being given, and anxious to facilitate the work as cheerfully & sensibly as possible.  However, not unnaturally I am beginning to get nervous now - not least because I am claustrophobic!

• Hi welcome to the forum the club nobody wants to join . When i go into a scanner i always close my eyes and think of laying on a beach when im in holiday,or in the back garden on the lounger . Some places have a radio built-in the scanner and music helps .

Anything to relax you helps, apart from too much alcohol , unless you bang your head hard and go dizzy.

Take care keep safe and sure.

Billy .

Im sure others will join you soon with ideas , trouble is with good weather they go out and relax .

• Dear Billgoatt, you were very kind in your message to me.  It turned out to be easy as not a tunnel.  They discovered a node behind my ear & a hotspot on a lung.  Over to the respiratory experts after a fortnight.

How are you, chuck?  Unless you prefer not to have to repeat yourself Again..!  Best wishes always.

• Hi Saltmarsh, I am glad you got great treatment and you are getting through this tough time. I hope you get to cherish many more years! At 75, you're just a kid! Take care and keep battling!

• Many thanks Carlos.  Yes, we all of us hope to do.  The speaker at an NHS cancer meeting I attended, said strongly that we don't speak of curing cancer, but managing it.

You don't mention yourself.  I do hope things are going as well as they possibly can for you.

• Hi Saltmarsh, we lost mum last month but she went somewhat peacefully. I am living in China and booked a flight home for next week hoping it would have been in time but it wasn't be.

Mum was a bit older than you and she was a few weeks away from 79, she had a full life and saw a lot of things and did the things she wanted. It hurts that she went that way but I think regards how her life panned out, she had no regrets and she was proud of her four kids and she was married over 50 years with dad. I know she is looking over us now and she is reunited with the people she loved who left before her, like her parents and two of her older sisters (she was one of 11). I will be back in the UK for awhile to keep dad company and to take her ashes to South America where she was originally from - probably wait until January as all these flights are being cancelled left, right and centre but it will be summer in the Southern Hemisphere so, probably a good time to do it.

It's going as well as it can under the circumstances, thanks for asking and take care.

• Thank you for replying, Carlos.  (My word, we're a cosmopolitan lot!)

My sincere condolences for your dear Mother.  I'm very glad that she had a good life, and raised a fine family.  May she rest in peace indeed.

Best wishes for the future.