New here

1 week ago my dad was diagnosed with cancer in his lungs and bones, and is now receiving palliative care. He and my mum (who is also ill) are going to move in with me and my family so I can care for them both. Obviously this is all very new and sudden. I'm Hopi g for some advice on what I need to get organised before he comes home this weekend and what to expect x

• Hi Deedee. .

I just had to answer your thread and say how amazing you are ... they are so lucky to have such a caring daughter ... if I had a daughter like you I'd be so proud ...

I can't help with practical things you want to know but I know @ annieliz has cared for loved one with cancer, so I've asked her to pop on and see if she can help, if she's around ...

So just sending you a hug for being there for your mum and dad ... I'm sure you'll find it hard at times, but with your love and help I'm sure you'll have many good memories as well as sad ... so sending you a big hug for being so special ....  Chrissie

• Hello Deedee1973; so sorry about your dad.  I have helped care for family sufferers at home and am trying to put things in some sort of order in my brain!  I  don't know how mobile your dad is but am guessing he doesn't want to be climbing stairs.  Really you want to reorganise your home if necessary so your dad has access to anywhere he might want to go in your home. Also, if your home is big enough perhaps a room with a view if this would be appreciated.  Regarding special things like hospital beds I am hopeful that you are getting this as part of the care package.  When you get this take a bit of time to fiddle with the controls as their functions are not immediately obvious (not to me anyway, until I pressed everything in every manner possible!)  Talk to your dad about what he would like.  Does he want friends and family visiting and does he also want quiet times with his close family.  Remember your dad is still the same person he was before he got cancer; he might still enjoy a joke occasionally and might want to listen to his favourite music.  Find out what he is able to eat and drink; and what he would like.  Blimey, so many things and also you need to look after yourself as it can be distressing and tiring sometimes.  Have you got other family members who can help with the caring so you get a break from time to time.

I am sure there are loads of things I have missed so do come back if you have questions.  Make sure you have back-up from MacMillan or whoever will be visiting you so you have someone to contact if you are worried.

I am attaching a link to another part of this website called "Caring for the carer" which might be helpful to you.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/dying-with-cancer/caring-for-the-carer

Annie