New

Any one had DIEP after mastectomy? How was it? The how long the recovery? I'm newly dx high grade dcis and my only option is mastectomy to have a better outlook. I'm scared, I'm devastated and  numb when they told me but I needed it. It's too much to take in all these but I need to be strong for my son. Psychologically and emotionally it affected me  but staying strong and praying all be okey. Thank you for any reply and advice 

•  

Hi Masang,

I was diagnosed with DCIS 6 years ago Initially I had a lumpectomy and Tamoxifen. Almost a year to the day of my first diagnosis, I discovered another lump in the same breast. This time I had a double mastectomy and, since the Tamoxifen hadn’t managed to keep the cancer at bay, I changed over to Letrazole.

I was terrified when I went for my mastectomy, but found it all pretty straightforward. Your diagnosis will have knocked you for six, psychologically and emotionally. Have you decided yet whether or not you are going to have reconstruction? I didn’t, as I had other scars which made it difficult to find enough skin for both breasts.

What age is your son and does he know about your diagnosis?

I do hope that all goes well for you. Remember that we are always here if you want to let off steam.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine, Thank you for your reply, your message is reassuring for someone new to this journey , it's keeping me strong to think there is hope! Yes the surgeon offered me reconstruction surgery on same day of mastectomy so I opted for DIEP. Hopefully it's a successful one just waiting for the date . My son is 12 and we explained to him , he cried but been brave about it. He keeps me going! Life as normal in the house as much as possible. It's hard  at times but I'm trying my best to think all be alright again. Thank you again. 

•  

Hi Masang,

I am glad that you have let your son know of your diagnosis. Difficult as it may be for him to take it all in, it is easier than suddenly having to face the end for a beloved mother. You are doing well if you can keep your home running normally. It is not easy waiting like this and, I am sure that, like most of us, you find that your emotions are all over the place just now. If this is the case, don’t worry about it. This is perfectly normal, as is crying a lot of the time.

I couldn’t have a DIEP because I have had previous surgery leaving me with a scar from breast to groin. Even if I could have done this it wouldn’t have been of any use, because I understand that only one breast can be done from the tummy. My only option was to take tissue from my back, but because I had to have both breasts done separately, I decided to wait and see how I got on without reconstruction. I am much older than you, so it didn’t seem so important and, in the end I decided that I manage well enough with my prostheses.

I hope that it’s not too long before you get your appointment for surgery and that all goes well. Let us know how you get on and remember that there is always someone here to support you when and if you want it.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine, thank you again for your message, I'm praying that they will give me a date soon, I need to prepare myself mind and body for this surgery . You inspire me because you been strong all through out your journey and sharing your experience gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel! At times I still couldn't comprehend why it happened to me but I can't really question it! I know I just need to deal with this with positive thinking that I will be alright after the surgery and hope for the best results. Take care too Jolamine and Thank you again for your kindness and support.