Need advice

Have had invasive tumour removed from bladder ,had chemo, offered radio neo or stoma.

I want radio or neo  , family want stoma .they say stoma is safest for longevity and has less problems and my responsibility to my family to live longer should supersede. Will someone who has opted for radio give me some advice

Many thanks.

• I had radio although not for bladder cancer. All I would say is it’s your body. You’re the one that has to deal with it. There is no surety in any of this so you have to do what is best for you. Is there any one at the hospital you attend who you can talk to? 

• Hi Keir,

I had radiotherapy to a tumour in my pelvis - 10 sessions over 2 weeks. I'd had a pre-session meeting where side effects were raised but, as I needed RT anyway and was befuddled by chemo-brain, I never took much notice and signed the consent form. I had no idea of the seriousness of RT or what it could do.

About 3 months after I'd had it, I was rushed to A&E with sepsis. The radiation had destroyed my sigmoid colon and I awoke from an emergency op with a colostomy and a mucus fistula. Two bags.

I have no problems emotionally with having the bags but have had to have the colostomy redone twice due to it closing over (because of the way I heal). I'm only just starting to introduce solid food into my diet, something that must be done slowly.

RT to the pelvis/abdomen carries a known risk of radiation enteritis/colitis, though I don't know the figures. Suffice to say that after RT, you may end up with a variety of stomas anyway. It did get rid of my tumour though and some associated pain.

It might be worth looking at a couple of dedicated urostomy forums to get a fuller picture of 'what ifs', remembering that most people who post online, are the ones who've had negative experiences.

Whatever your decision, make it for whatever you consider best for you, because you're the one who must live by the consequences.

Best Regards

Taff