nearly 5 years in

Hi!

I am a 47 year old Mum of 3 boys....21, 19 and 9...all living at home.

I was diagnosed with aggressive superficial bladder cancer CIS in 2011 after 2 years of burning sensation and painful bladder including traces of blood in urine.

Immediately, after burning away the affected parts, I started BCG, weekly for 6 weeks then 3weeks every 3 months. Unfortunately/fortunately (depending how you look at it) I have a very strong reaction to the treatment and have suffered extreme burning and pain on any kind of movement, acute urinary retention leaving me catheterised on various occasions and after 16 doses decided in January last year that I didn't want any more!

I haven't had a recurrence of the cancer in all this time but because of the nature of this particular cancer and my age it has been stipulated that aggressive treatment is my best option. 

Because of the rawness in my bladder every time I have cystoscopy it is impossible to see if the cancer has returned meaning I have undergone many biopsies with diathermy sometimes leaving me hospitalised and almost always with a return to debilitating pain and or semi incontinence. I felt I was just chasing my tail and am just starting to get my fitness back on a new regime of Blue light Cystoscopy 6 monthly at Guys Hospital.

I have not worked properly since before my youngest was born due to the awful side effects of the treatment on top of constant hospital appointments, countless biopsies, catheterisation, continence issues not to mention the usual trying to look after a young family, dog, cat, chickens, gecko, fish, husband.....and all that entails. Luckily my husband is supportive of me staying home to look after the kids and shoulder the finamcial strain as without permanent disability we have not been entitled to any financial support.

So here I am with a hopefully better year ahead with my next blue light booked for June.

If anybody would like to talk to me about their experiences I am happy to listen. I have pretty much just got on with things and don't know any one in my position so I know how lonely it can feel.

Thanks for listening

• Hello cfeast,

Welcome to Cancer Chat! I thought I would come and say hello and hopefully you will soon get chatting with others here affected by bladder cancer. Blimey, you sound very busy with 3 boys living at home, plus the dog, the cat, chickens, gecko, husband and fish. All I can say is wow!

You seem to have gone through a lot and still managed to look after all these boys (not sure if the cat, dog, chickens and gecko are boys too?). I hope this forum will help you connect with others who have been through a similar experience. 

We have a lovely member, LorraineD, with experience of bladder cancer. Though I am not sure she has exactly the same type of bladder cancer, I think she is very familiar with cystocopies and BCG for example. If you click here, you will see her profile and if you scroll down you can read the discussions she started or the replies she gave on the forum and feel free to respond to any you wish.

I hope this helps a little and that you soon hear from others who have been down a similar treatment route.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you Lucie! :) ( apart from the cockerel our chickens are female so is the gecko...lol)