My mum passed 4 days ago and now I feel nothing

Hi I'm new to the page and this is my first post but I didn't know where else to get some real answers. 
my mum was diagnosed in July 2018 with stage 4 lung cancer. Long story short it spread to her brain about 12 mi the later and just recently her bones. Until February this year when she had her last radiotherapy in the brain she was doing amazingly well and as a family we were dealing with each knock back and so proud of how she was coping. 
she passed away on Monday after deteriorating quite rapidly. The first 2 days I couldn't stop crying. My heart physically hurt. But since yesterday I feel nothing. It's so strange. I know what's happened obviously but I just feel like I should be feeling sadder if that makes sense. We were extremely close and had a fantastic relationship. Is this normal ? 

• Hi

So sorry to read about the loss of your mum. 

There are no rules on how everyone grieves its all a very personal journey so please don't beat yourself up, you haven't loved your mum any less.

My lovely mum who was my best friend and rock sadly passed in in January although her health had not been good she ended up in hospital and after us being told she was improving went down hill and passed away 2 weeks later. 

I thought I would be off work etc for some time but went back 2 weeks later wasn't easy but I needed to be doing things. 

Remember and cherish the love you shared she will be with you in your heart forever ♥

Louise xx

• Thank you for your reply. I guess I just feel numb. All in limbo at the moment until the official things are sorted. I definitely don't feel like before but just taking each day as it comes. 

• Hey. 
    I am really sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum in March 2021, and I have felt all kinds of emotions- including feeling numb. 
    It's normal to feel these emotions. I think the feeling numb, is a state of shock, and you're currently on survival mode. Either way, I want you to know, it's okay to feel any emotion. 
    You have lost your mum, the person that carried you for 9 months, the person that loved you unconditionally. This is one of the greatest losses you'll ever go through in life, if not the worst loss, so please don't be so hard on yourself. It's okay to feel nothing, or everything at once. Just know you're not alone. 

It's still early days. Allow yourself to process what has happened, grieve, cry, scream, shout. It's okay. 

With time, the pain won't be as intense, and you'll learn to live with the loss. But you'll cherish all the memories you had with your mum. She is a part of you, your mum is half of you.

Sending you lots of love and prayers. Xxx

• Hiya, 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mum. 

I lost my mum to ovarian cancer on 23rd November 21.  Very similar to you, my mum had been ill for a long time and we had many successful treatments but then she detiorated very quickly. 

I too felt numb, probably for a good 6 weeks after my mum passed. The tears did come granted but in general I felt next to nothing. I feel at this point 7 months on I am experiencing rational grief and coming to terms with what has happened. It doesn't get easier as such but a little bit of the brain fog clears. 

Absolutely everything you are feeling right now is normal. Don't push yourself to feel anything other than what is coming naturally right now. But please make sure you check in on here if we can offer any support. 

You are in my thoughts, 

Catherine xx 

• So sorry to hear of your mum passing and after reading your post i wanted to let you know you are not alone and everyone deals with it so different i lost my Dad in Feb at the age of 52 after he was diganosied with cancer 2 years ago he lost his battle and my Dad was my bestest friend in the world we were so close they had me at 15 so i was very close as my age now is 35 we went out together and to the races and shows ect.

He died and i cried when i got the call i cried again that night then after that not again till the funeral night and it still dosnt feel real now it might not feel real to you and you will deal with it how you feel best please dont feel bad about not crying.

I went to see my Dad at the funeral home and i am so glad i did as when i seen him in hospital he looked terrible and the funeral home made him look better than he has in months but again everyone to there own.

I wish you strength going forward xxx

• Hi , so sorry to hear about your mum also. Such a horrible disease. I hate it. A week down the line of writing this original post  I think I was in delayed shock. I had two days of that nothing feeling then it hit me. As a family we are close so I talked to my sister which made me feel better. For now I am just riding the waves. Letting the tears fall freely when they come and taking the "good" days/hours when they come too. I have a 2 yr old that keeps me busy so that helps. 
    thank you so much for your kind words. Xx

• I have since come to realise that there are no hard and fast rules in this grief. I have had so many emotions since writing this original post it's hard to even put in to words. Thank you for your reply. It definitely helped. Baby steps xx

• Oh I'm so sorry to read this. This forum definitely makes you realise you are not alone. So many of us losing our loved ones to this horrid disease. 
    mum was at home for the last days after being in hospice care for around 2 months. So although she looked very poorly we did get to spend time with her. Thankfully. 
    I feel cheated though that covid has stolen the last year from us as we haven't spent time with her as we would have.( Until January this year she was going strong). 
    It's a rollercoaster of emotions that I have never experienced before. 
    I hope you are coping with your loss also. Xx

• Sorry for your loss anxiety totally agree covid has a lot to answer for I do believe if more attention was paid to patients of cancer my Dad might still be here but no point thinking of what could have been.

Life surely is a rollercoster of unprictible situations learning to deal with them is the challenge we face.

I hope you too are coping x