My mum has terminal cancer

Hi i was told 3 weeks ago my mum has terminal cancer. I find it hard to process my mum was a heavy drinker in the past and was diagnosed 4 years ago with liver cancer which has now gone to lymphnodes and ovary. She is on palliative care at home and cant help but keep wondering how long she has left (i know that sounds really bad) its horrible to see such drastic changes in 3 weeks. 

• Hi Butterfly88,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I'm so sorry to read about your mum, I can only imagine how hard this is for you and all of you. It doesn't sound bad at all - I'm sure it is natural to wonder that. You can always ask her doctor this in order to help you best prepare.

The only thing I can suggest is to make the most of your time with her. It must be very difficult to see these changes. I hope you have some people who can support you as well - do feel free to use this forum as a safe space to talk through your thoughts and worries. It's a very understanding community of people and I know there are many people here who have been through, or are going through, something similar.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you so much!

She had her appointment with her liver doctor yesterday and told mum that they would give her 6 months but not guaranteed as her liver cancer has got worse and the liver is no longer functioning. She asked if she will be here for xmas? and was told "i think so". I understand that because of all my mums other health issues they cant guarantee it, but i now worry everyday that her body will give up on her even if she is willing to fight and hold on for xmas

• Hi there , 

I am very sorry  To hear about your mum.  With the prognosis of how long someone will live, it's very difficult to say. My grandfather had a very rare blood cancer and wasn't given a prognosis. In one way it makes you appreciate every day but in another it is difficult. I lost my grandad recently to cancer. 

What I would say is, make the most of every second it is not too late to build memories. It is hard when one day the only thing you have is memories. Its  not just memories or your mind that's important it is the immortality that lives in your heart. 

During this very difficult time , you can talk about the difficult times of your lives , your fall outs and anything you want to say good or bad. It is very hard but please know your not on your own and people truly care. When people don't know each other at all, they are still connected and during difficult times people come together to work through this. It's a process and don't beat yourself up.

Best wishes to you x

• Hi weve had a rapid change in my mum over the weekend and in the space of a couple of days she has deteriorated and is now letting her body tell her what it wants. The last 24 hours have been heart breaking for me and im struggling to see her in so much pain/discomfort. Nurses have ordered the syringe drive for this morning im going to spend an hour with her this morning before visitors arrive.