My mum had stage 4 bowel cancer - what next?

Hi there,

My mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer about a year ago. She had it removed and underwent chemotherapy both before and after. They also saw a small shadow on her lung, but it dissappeared after treatment. Recently it came back and was removed, but doctors confirmed it was cancer cells from the bowel. She is now cancer free following the surgery to remove it, but as it is stage 4, it seems likely to come back.

I am in my mid-20s and petrified. When she was first diagnosed it didn't seem to hit me fully, and I was able to cope pretty well, almost to the point I felt guilty. Now it has been confirmed it was stage 4, it has hit me a lot harder. I recently had a mini-panic attack and am terrified about the future. I know my mum is the most important, and that it might not come back, depsite the odds I have read about. We are living life to the full, but I cannot shift this feeling of dread no matter how hard I try. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been in a similar position and how they coped through it? 

• Hello David101, 

I am so sorry to hear your mum has been diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer it must be really difficult for you and your family at the moment. I am glad though that the surgery worked and that she is currently cancer free but I can imagine how anxious you must be feeling at the moment.  

It might be worth you having a chat with your GP about the fact you had a panic attack recently and they will be able to help you deal with your current anxiety and that feeling of dread you describe. You are right to be living your life to the full and to be spending quality time with your mum. 

I will now let some of our members who are or have been in a similar position come and say hello and share their stories and coping mechanisms with you. 

Best wishes to you and your mum, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi David,

this is my first ever post!

i totally understand how you feel

my mum was diagnosed with stage 4 a few weeks ago after having emergency surgery at Christmas for a complete blockage ( drs kept telling her it was her ibs playing up and she was just constipated) last week were told it’s in her stomach lining 

anyway she starts chemo tomorrow so I’ve been feeling all sorts of emotions, I’ve suffered depression in the past and could feel my anxiety and low moods kicking in so took myself to the gp and have started on medication again to help me through 

im in my mid thirties and my mum is my rock as well as my son who is autistic/has learning difficulties and very close to nanny 

i know it hasn’t fully sunk in yet as we are still at the beginning of the journey I’m frazzled from all the appointments yet staying strong for mum and my son.

do u have a partner or colleagues you can talk to and share your worries with. Luckily I work with an amazing bunch and have been in tears in the office more than at home! 

Anyway feel like I’m rambling now I just wanted to let you know your not alone with your feelings