My husband died 13 days ago

13 days ago i lost the love of my life. My husband was 51 and we had been married for 27 years. He was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2013 and after surgery and chemo he was clear until March last year just four weeks before our daughters wedding, when he was given 12 months to live he lived for 18 months. He was so brave and positive during this fight and was convinced he would beat this terrible disease, he was the one who kept us all going, he never complained and never gave in. During his last month he struggled to eat and lost so much weight and was constantly sick he literally wasted away it was heartbreaking. Still he never complained but his frustration with himself at not being able to do anything and at the end being confused was something I could hardly bare to watch. I lost my husband during those three weeks slowly one day at a time and although i knew what was coming i cannot accept that he has gone. He died at home with me and our children at his side as i was determined that he would be here with us. I just can't imagine a life without him, we did everything together as a family. He was my best friend and although i have lots of support i am just so lonely and all i want is my husband back. It's the funeral on Thursday, just saying that sentence out loud sounds like i'm talking about someone else........

• Hi Tracy... I'm so so sorry... my heart goes out to you and your family ... I'm so glad you were all with him when he went ... he must have been so proud of you all .. he sounds like a "braveheart "  gentle man ...

there's been so many losses on here lately,  and especially cruel at this time of year ... so just sending you a big hug brave lass  (yes you are, even if you don't feel it at the mo)  to hold his hand through his journey takes real courage... thinking of you ... Chrissie xx

• Tracey, I can only say I'm so sorry for you & I do truly understand how you feel. Please be strong for yourself. Pete 

• My deepest condolences Tracy. Your husband sounds like a lovely man. I wish you every strength tomorrow. xx Harry

• So sorry.  Go easy on yourself - losing someone you love who was an enormous part of your life is always going to be difficult and you can only take tiny steps towards acceptance.  Don't expect too much from yourself, lean on the people who love you and will want to help you through this.  Horrible situation for you but you did everything that was best for him and your family love shines through.  There are lots of people on this site who have similarly lost their most loved husband or partner; I expect many of them will empathise with what you are suffering.  Best wishes.

• My husband is suffering from bowel and liver cancer which are both inoperable, we were told yesterday that there is no more treatment. it was a sad day yesterday and today and I don't know how many more days I will feel like this. we want to nurse him at home to the end and like yourself he is the love of my life. our 40th wedding anniversary is next May and I am just hoping we make it. I feel deeply sorry for your loss as I know I will have to go through a similar experience. people keep saying keep your chin up and be brave, so what I say is if you do I will. lol xx