My Dad & Lung cancer

Hi everyone, 

Up until a couple of weeks ago I would have never imagined that I would be posting on a forum such as this, but unfortunately my Dad (in his late 70s) has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. 

He has been told that chemo is an option available to him and that it is the only option - there is no cure and no other suitable treatment. He has a 10cm tumour in his lung and possibly a smaller one in his other lung which is currently under further investigation. The doctors have no idea how long he’s had it for. 

I guess what I would like to get out of posting on here are other people’s experiences of similar circumstances. I have no idea what to expect in terms of the effectiveness of chemo, his improvement/deterioration, life expectancy etc. 

Any experiences would be much appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Em

• Hello lovely

So sorry to hear this news. The most important thing to realise is that everyone is different so no two people will have the same experience but I am happy to share ours if it helps. 

My partner is in his early sixties and was diagnosed with stage 3c lung cancer in October. I well remember the hideous shock of the diagnosis and that feeling that life will never be quite the same again. The tumour was 60cm and the cancer had spread to his nodes. It was inoperable but he was told he could have chemo followed by radiotherapy.

The chemo was 4 rounds, each round consisting of a 3 week period with the third week 'off' to recover a bit. He had only slight side effects until the last round but this varies with the individual. He had a couple of problems with his blood and had to have a short course of injections to build up his white blood cells and a transfusion for the red ones. At the end of the chemo he was told that his cancer could not be seen on the scan. We are now waiting for radiotherapy.

You will feel so much better when he starts the chemo. Also, don't be too upset about the 'no cure' business. Its honestly not the end of the world. There are many other conditions for which there is no cure but which don't necessarily mean that life will be shorter or significantly worse. We met a fantastic woman walking her dog on the beach the other day. She told us she'd had cancer for about 15 years-they just keep zapping it but it never goes away. She looked fitter than I am!

Please do get back in touch if there's anything else you'd like to know. I will be thinking of you as you start this jurney you never wanted to be in.

Stay tough, stay cheerful.

Love always

xxx

• Hi Monica, 

Thank you so much for your reply - me and my family have never had to deal with anything like this before, so it’s all very unknown. But your reply and reading through these forums have been so helpful. 

Hopefully the chemo is as smooth as it can be. 

Thank you, 

Em

• Its certainly a steep learning curve. Once you get your head round it and treatment is underway, you just sort of get on with it.

Lots of love xx

• Hi Em,

This was my post a few months back when my dad was diagnosed. I think its the shock when you first hear and the unknown. My dads is smaller but we never knew if it had spread or how bad it was.

He is due to have surgery a week today to remove it.

Am here to chat if you need to as can relate to how you are feeling x