My Dad is dying

A few years ago my Dad was told he had cancer that had no known treatments for. He experimented with different treatments and they would work on and off again, he also had several surgeries.

Earlier this year after having a few near death experiences he was told that he was in remission and he actually got to go back to work and start driving again. However not long after he was hospitalized.

He came home for a while but was sent back in soon after. This time he was unable to eat or drink whatsoever and they told us he hadn’t long left. They were able to feed him artificially and this was going well for a month or so until a few days ago. He is unable to walk and he is asleep during most of the day. They have stopped feeding him and they said that he should pass in the next few days.

I am only a teenager and I am finding it hard to cope. I’m unable to sleep and I feel guilty for not spending as much time as possible with him and when I  am with him I don’t know what to say because I don’t want to upset him. 

I’m terrified of life without him, he is one of the few people that truly  believe in me. I am scared that he will be forgotten as he is the most unbelievably intelligent and inspiring person in my life and I want him to be honored. I really want him to know how I feel about him and how much I care but I cannot talk to him without crying and thus making him upset.

• Hello T_S; welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to learn about your dad.  Can I ask your age as this is a forum for those aged 14 and over.  Having said that, whatever your age there are websites specially for young people who have a family member with cancer and you may find them useful as other teenagers will understand what you are going through and talk about how they coped. 

http://www.riprap.org.uk/

http://www.hopesupport.org.uk/

Best wishes.

Annie

• Hi Annie, 

Thank you for your kind words, I am 16. I will be sure to check out those websites.

Kind regards,

T_S

• Hi again.  Sorry I had to ask.  You don't expect to lose a parent at such a young age; it is hard enough at any time but a major loss at your age when the world is opening up for you and you would like to talk to your dad about what you are experiencing.  Are you able to talk to  your mum about your feelings?  It is difficult to hold things together when you are falling apart inside and I am hopeful that you will get some insight into how others of your age group have coped.  Grab for all the support you can get - with both hands.  I hope your friends are also trying to help you although unless they have been in your situation they may find it difficult to know what to do and say. If you find it helpful to come here and let out some of the stress and sorrow inside you then please do so whenever and as often as you like.  Annie

• Hey, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. I have actually experienced this and my dad actually passed away around a month ago now. I'm not going to lie, it is hard. Especially for young people. I am only 22 butt to be 16 and losing your dad must be very hard. 

I am afraid what they are saying sounds right. Near death my dad slept mostly all day, didnt eat or drink and stopped passing urine. On his last day actually he was awake for most of the day and saw all the family and then passed. 

Now that he's gone it is hard to live life without him, but life does go on... theres still important parts of life that will not stop. For example, college etc.

You must live your life and make your dad proud. I do honestly believe there is an afterlife and find comfort in that.

Hope your doing as good as you can be at the minute.