My dad has stage 4 Melanoma

I write this, as I need to just say it, get my feelings off my chest, and hope there is support from others who are going through the same.  

My Dad was diagnosed with stage 1 Melanoma in June 2018; within 2 months it had spread to another part of the neck and was stage 3. Fast forward to July 2019 and my dad was given the all clear, we were over the moon... 8 weeks later and after a routine scan, it was discovered the Melanoma had spread to both lungs and liver - now stage 4. 

I was with my dad when he received the diagnosis and it felt like I’d had the air knocked out of me! I can’t believe what started as a small mole, has had such a devastating effect on my dad and our family. I can’t get my head around it all and am struggling to comes to terms with it - I literally can’t speak to my dad without crying as I just keep thinking about how long I may have with him. My baby is only 18months old and it breaks my heart to think my dad may not be here to see him grow up, or that my little boy won’t remember him. 

He has been offered immunotherapy not as a cure but as a way to prolong life.  If successful then we could have up to 3 years with him. But hearing the words ‘3 years’ just feels like a death sentence/countdown for Dad!

I know I need to pull myself together (this isn’t about me!), and be strong for my family.  How on earth do you stay strong and supportive - life can be so bloody cruel! 

• Hi sadie28,

I'm so sorry that your dad and all your family are going through this. Sadly everyone finds it hard to understand how something so small and innocent looking can cause such devastation. 

Research and new treatments are being trialled all the time for melanoma and are showing great promise. Immunotherapy is showing good results in some patients, far better than expected for some. Because it's only been available for about 7 years they are still assessing patient's response but there are some good responders who are surviving much longer than the time they were originally given. Hopefully your dad will be one of those who respond well and the longer he does, the more chance another treatment will become available that they can try him with. 

So please don't despair, it's not cut and dried and there is reason to be hopeful,

Angie (Stage 3 melanoma patient)