My Dad has lung cancer

Hi all,

my dad has be diagnosed with lung cancer on Friday and was taken into hospital a few days later as he was very weak, short of breath and really disoriented. He has got a bit better now and they are keeping him in for a few days.

we have an appointment on monday(2 days away) and they will give us the plan about treatment but they have warned us that it might be too late for treatment. He was very upset tonight as he is a bit more with it and didn’t remember the diagnosis on Friday and we had to tell him all over again.

so hard to see the man who is your rock and is your everything as a daddy’s girl while growing up crying in your arms about needing to look after my Mam and how he didn’t want to be a burden...

any advise would be much appericated. My mam is nearly 80(she had a toy boy for a husband) and very forgetful so we are trying to support both parents. I don’t live in Ireland and need to travel and look after my own 2 kids and hold down my job. I need to arrange things but don’t know where to start.

xxx

• Hi there Kate ... I know this is a really heartbreaking time for you... i was in the same position as you years ago .. my wonderful dad went slowly with pneumonacosis on his lung ... he was so kind and gentle ..  there’s no easy way through ... sounds like he’s worried about you and your mum .. and listening to him and his worries will help him .. just hold his hand ... I know how lost you must feel coz I had my young family at the time... juggling with family, work, and having poorly parents ... just shows how strong you are, even if you don’t think it , you are ..

what do you need to arrange .. coz there’s help lines you can phone on here or McMillan too .. you can get practical advice and help... your not on your own ... reach out to them and they’ll help you get through ... they helped me ... sending you a big hug .. Chrisie x .

• My Dad was recently diagnosed with Lung Cancer. teh macmillan nurses said they would be in touch to have a Health day check with him when they go over his whole health, including financial etc. I am sure they can give youhelp and advice about how to support him. There is also a macmillan nurse who deals with patients with dementia who would eb able to offer advcie.

I have not used them yet myself-but the help is there and its worth trying them? A big hug for you and your family xx