My brave Dad

I am beyond devastated to even be typing this, it's the most heartbreaking thing seeing your loved ones dying from such an awful disease.

In August 2017 my Dad was diagnosed with oesophagel cancer after a couple of months of struggling to swallow and food getting stuck. He endured chemo for a few months to which the pick line caused him to have sepsis, he was admitted to hospital until the infection had cleared. He then underwent a massive operation in January 2018 which consisted of removing 2 thirds of his oesophagus and 1 third of his stomach. Although in a lot of pain dad was very positive and we had hope that he'd be coming out the other side. 

April 2018 dad had a routine eye test, they found something suspicious so he was referred to ophthalmology, another devastating blow and we found out he had a tumour behind his eye. Dad was offered radiotherapy, it shrunk the Tumour and again as a family we had hope that Dad would come out the other side. 

January 2019, a few days after his 60th birthday dad was rushed to hospital with what they believed was pneumonia, 3 litres of fluid was drained and he was sent home after 5 days. The oncologist called following a CT scan and we were given the worst news, the cancer had spread to his lung and liver. By this time Dad has lost so much weight, struggling to eat and drink and having trouble breathing. 

He was rushed back to hospital after vomiting up black blood to which he is still there now. Eating and drinking a lot less because he's too scared, struggling to talk due to his breathing and sleeping a lot. He's also in a lot of pain with his back and shoulder, oxycodone and paracetamol is not helping at all.

As a family we are all absolutely devastated. I am 26 weeks pregnant expecting a baby boy on 22nd May and I hope and pray to God my Dad gets to meet him. I've always idolised my Dad and we've always been so close I'm so so scared of losing him but also don't want him to be suffering. 

I just wanted to write this post to show what a true warrior my Dad is. He's been through so much in such a short space of time and hes still fighting. 

• Hi Amz0403, 

so so sorry to hear of the battle your dad has on his hands. I lost my mother two weeks ago to advanced cervical cancer which we had only found out about three weeks prior. From what you have said it sounds like your dad is a warrior and in that you should take great pride. There is a lot to be said for a positive fighting mentality. Just keep positive and strong and he will feed off that energy from you. I will have my fingers crossed for the best possible outcome for you and your family. If you ever need to vent please feel free to message me or any one else on this forum I’m sure everyone will be happy to help in any way possible

• Hi .I've looked on here a few times but not been brave enough to post before However your message seemed to pull me in at last. A few months ago my  57 year old husband had the same symptoms your dear dad had with swallowing for only a few weeks before we were told he had inoperable oesphageal cancer which had already spread to a lot of lymph nodes. My poor husband doesn't really take in the enormity of it all.  He doesn't know any time scale  As dont most of my children (grown up )   I can't tell them as he doesn't know details at his own request as he can't comprehend any of it.  Watching him struggle and suffer is heartbreaking. As is watching my children who are in total disbelief and fear  My thoughts are with you and your dad and family.  I can't say much more on this first post as I'm totally lost for words most of the time.  I just read your story and suddenly realised that it's not just me and my family that this is happening to xxxxxxxx  I just don't know what I'm going to do. Xxxx 

• Hello dear, I'm so sorry for what you are going through,

I don't know what it feels like to be afraid of losing a parent but I surely know what it feels like to watch someone you love suffering. My boyfriend has stage 4 colon cancer that spread to his liver and lungs too... So he has been suffering a lot lately. At the moment he has similar symptoms to your dad, which I have to admit is very scary.

It's incredible what your Dad has been through, I understand that you have been very strong. It's a terrible pain going through all this. My boyfriend's family is also super depressed, we all don't know what to do... and even if we get some sort of joy in our lives, it all quickly fades away as our biggest problem is still there. 

There's not much I can say, unfourtunately we don't have much control over these situations, but I hope that you hang in there and that you're dad feels better <3

Take care**

• Thank you for your message, my Dad really is a warrior and I do take pride In knowing he fought to stay with his family as much as his body could possibly take. 

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your Mum, and hope that you take comfort in knowing she is no longer suffering anymore. 

My dad was unable to talk today, he is in and out of consciousness, we all know the end is very near. I am going to find it impossible to let go when the time comes but I really hate seeing him suffer so much and want him to be at peace. 

Xx

• Thanks for your message, I am so sorry to hear that your boyfriend is going through similar symptoms to that of my Dad, it really is the worst thing in the world and so so scary. 

I wish you all the very best and hope that your boyfriend can be made comfortable and pain free. 

My dad has been given days, there is no more that can be done for him, I just want him to be comfortable and at peace now, hes suffered enough. 

Take care xxx 

• I am so very sorry to hear your husband has oesophagel cancer, it really is the worst thing imaginable having to watch the person you love the most go through what they do.

My Mum was very much indenial and Dad has been for the last year, it's now that we've been told he has days that it's really hit home. 

Stay as strong as you possibly can for your children and your husband but also know it's ok for you to cry, communicate your feelings and get angry, you're going through the tough time too. 

I hope you and your family get to create as many lovely memories as possible however big or small. 

Take care xxx 

• Hi Amz,

Just to say I'm thinking of you and what you are going through, it's been a month since I was in your totally devastating position myself with my Dad and understand your saddness and despair. My Dad was just a couple of years older than yours. 

Sending love and strength to you. 

xxx

• Thank you for your message. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad, it really is such a heartbreaking time. 

I hope you find some comfort in knowing your dad is at peace now and is no longer suffering.

Take care xxx 

• Hello love,

your story is so similar to mine, my Dad also had oesophageal cancer. He suffered with it for 7 months and lost his battle on the 2nd Feb 2019. My Dad tried chemo but he only managed 4 cycles before he developed internal bleeding for which he was prescribed something to thicken his blood but that caused him to get several blood clots and one of them moved to his brain which caused a stroke... it really went from bad to worse at every step, it’s a horrible disease. Towards the end my Dad was very thin, struggling to walk, using oxygen to help him breath and taking countless tablets to take away the pain and he couldn’t speak properly because the stroke has messed up his speech, it was awful to watch him suffer but I held his hand and talked to him and  made him laugh up until the day we lost him. Throughout it all he was still my lovely Dad underneath all the horrible cancer, he was still in there fighting! My Dad really wanted to go home and we managed to get him out of hospital for a week before he passed away.  I am 21 weeks pregnant so I feel I can relate to you. I don’t know how your story is going to end, I hope that your Dad gets some good luck and some relief, one thing that you an control is the pain, there’s no need for him to be in so much pain, it took a while for my Dad to get the right painkillers it was actually due to a Macmillan nurse suggesting a twice daily slow release painkiller along with paracetamol and another liquid hat he could take throughout the day, that did the trick for him and it was one small victory that meant he could rest without being in agony. 

Anyway sorry for the massive message, I wish you and your Dad all the luck in the world, i hope you get some pain free quality time together and that your Dad gets to meet your baby x

• So sorry to hear your news Today we got the horrible news that my dads chemo will be stopped so hard to stay positive as all we've had is bad news since when he was diagnosed 2 years ago. I just don't know what to do I've been looking for solutions like maybe cannibjs oil and this is when I came across your post Keep strong