Mum’s stage 4 - loss of appetite and weakness

Hi! My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. About ten days ago they told us it has spread to her lungs, liver and stomach. She meets her oncologist tomorrow for the first time. Ten days ago we were told she'll receive chemo and immunotherapy. Her treatment hasn't started yet. 

Obviously I will put these questions to them but I've been thinking for a few days now and really wondering if anybody can clarify. She's not got out of bed since Friday and has probably eaten 4 - 6 spoons of food each day. She's drinking little water (especially for her) and just doesn't have any strength or energy. 

Does this mean she's coming to end of life? Also, if she's this weak then will they delay or refuse to start her chemo? I know every case is different and only her MDT can decide for her but just curious to know if anybody has been through similar please. 

Thank you x

• Hi ,

I hope this may help 

Just seen your post and my wife became very weak and almost stopped eating / drinking which sounds similar. We were really worried however after talking to the nurses in the hospital we had her taken in for assessment and they found she was dehydrated and lacking vitamins. She stayed in 3 days, they gave her fluids and more and came out in a much better place. We were thinking the worst but the kind nurses were able to help her. 
    Usually before any treatment starts they'll check her bloods and make sure she's ok to start again from what I've seen they are really close to this. 

hope that helps , 

Chris 

• Hi Chris

Thank you so much, this is so helpful and very reassuring. I'm so happy your wife felt better and I really hope the same for my mum.

Thank you again, you've really helped me see that there can be a positive. 

I hope you have a lovely day 

Karen x

• Thanks Karen, also we were given a pack with the emergency oncology helpline number on. I wasn't aware of this at the time but it has been invaluable, the nurses always pick up or call back and the care they give is brilliant. I'd definitely ask for this if you don't have it so you have some contacts and a direct line when things aren't so great. Hope your mum picks up. 

Have a lovely day too, 

Chris 

• Thank you so much again Chris. They did give me a card and told me to call anytime but I completely forgot! Thank you so much as I don't know how it slipped my mind. 

I'll definitely give them a ring for mum, thank you again - you've made such a difference to my day today. Mum's still the same but your experience has just made me feel more hopeful, thank you!

I hope you and your wife are doing very well

Best wishes to you both xx

• Thank you Karen, you're more than welcome, hope it goes well for your mum. 

Chris