Mum's cancer

My mum had a seizure going on 3 weeks ago was taken to hospital were the discovered Primary lung cancer spread to brain and liver she had to go back last week for a liver biopsy where they have confirmed an aggressive type she has been given anti seizure tablets and dexamethasone steroids a doctor called me 2 days ago and told me ( my mum agreed that I would do all the talking to doctors then I could drop feed her the information) that she has between 6 to 8 weeks or with chemo perhaps 6 to 8 months but he was more concerned about mum's quality of life so was not sure if chemo would be of use  she is only 66 she is my wee mum and I don't think this has hit me yet  mum doesn't know the full extent of all this yet as she is talking about getting garden furniture etc I have to leave the room and have a wee cry and pull myself together also since her liver biopsy she has a terribly sore lower back but other than that she seems fine eating,drinking as normal Do you think it is an idea to go down the chemo route  I don't want her to suffer but I want her with me has anyone else been down this road and could help with any advice please.

• I'm sorry about your mum Kezzy. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be to process this news at the moment but you're not alone as many of our members have been in this position with their loved ones so will understand what you're going through and I'm sure some of them will be along soon to offer their support and advice. 

Only your mum can make that decision so when you're ready, sit down with her and get her thoughts on this. We have some general information about chemotherapy on our website just here but if you would like to talk things through with one of our cancer nurses before discussing this with your mum then you can give them a call on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

Best wishes to you both,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator