Mum with cancer

Hi there was reading some off your chats. 1 stood out and that was rachel about her mum. My mum was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer and she is still having test done. ( her 2nd brain scan) as 1st one they said it came back abnormal. Don't know test results off this yet. My mum lives in edinburgh with my brother and the rest off us live in northern ireland. I just don't get why they haven't started treatment as it's been nearly 4 months from diagnosed and it's very frustrating.

Thanks for listening x

• Hi there ... 

Maybe a call to your brother and ask him why, if he doesn't know maybe you could get him to find out with your mum's permission he can ring the oncology team and get an explanation ..

It could be mum's not said everything to you to protect you and stop you worrying as your so far away .. so many parents do that, not realising it's more scary not knowing what's happening ... hope you get some answers soon ... Chrissie x

• Hi. Chris is right, treatment has to be started six weeks from diagnosis, so things need to be clarified.  Mum should have a dedicated Mc Millan nurse,  if she gives permission they will let you know what is happening.   It must be awful being so far away for you.  Some parents try to keep things to themselves thinking it will help,  you know it doesn't,  you can help more when you are aware of the facts.   So don't sit there worrying, get on the phone and find out  what's going on!   Good luck.  Caz